Thread: Buff Skyrunner

Buff Skyrunner

I was looking at the calendar for the skyrunner series http://www.buffskyrunner.com and I see the first race is in Berga, Catalonia, only an hour or so from Barcelona or Girona Airports.

Has anyone any experience of these races, e.g terrain or distance, as I wouldn't mind giving this one a whirl.

Heard somewhere they are quite simialr to Sierre-Zinal.

Fellhound

Re: Buff Skyrunner

I've never done Sierre Zinal but did the Dolomite Sky Race last year. I think the Buff series tend to be a fair bit rougher and more serious than most; more closely related to a Lakes Cat A.

The Dolomite race was brilliant - great atmosphere, great course, great people. Highly recommended!

http://www.dolomiteskyrace.com/

Just watched the video of the race you were in Trundler, it looks fantastic, seen a few brits in it as well.
    Was it a straight up and down race?

Bill

I've done the Kinabalu Climbathon which is normally the last in the Skyrunner series. Was great fun. Short but steep and climbing to over 4000m. Generally good rocky path. Stunning mountain and cloud forest scenery.

The event was very well run with a very cosmopolitan field who were very interesting to chat to. My only gripe was that I was given as DNF rather than the 4.20 that I finished in.

I'd definitely recommend trying some of their other races- certainly the European races look interesting and accessible.

Looks good, 13 miles and 7,357 feet of ascent, but Malaysia's a bit far to go for a race

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by gyppo View Post
    I've done the Kinabalu Climbathon which is normally the last in the Skyrunner series. Was great fun. Short but steep and climbing to over 4000m. Generally good rocky path. Stunning mountain and cloud forest scenery.

Agree- it's along way to go. Just happened to be out there at the time, so thought I'd give it a whirl.

Can someone just clarify because I search on the net for ages, get distracted by race results, details etc. and don't really come to a conclusion.

I fancy doing one race in Europe this year.

Is there the BUFF series, and then then SKY RACES series. Two seperate competitions and not really any others that attract 'foreigners' i.e. I know Italy has heaps of races, but most I imagine are just locals.

And the BUFF are pretty long and serious and SKY shorter with bigger fields, right?

Anything else?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Not sure but I thought a Sky race was a generic term for a race above 2000m which are often up to marathon distance. No idea of the size of field.

Buff is a series of races- alot of them European. Their details are listed on the buff skyrunner site.

Can also see alot of detail on FSA-Sky website. Their list of races in Europe and abroad- www.fsa-sky.org/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemi d=39

Hope this helps.

I love the look of the Dolomites race- sadly unlikely to be able to be away from work at that time.

Aren't the buff and the sky runner one and the same?

These buff, skyrunner, skye races are all large scale international style events, what about small scale local events in europe do they exist?

Bill

Fellhound

The Buff Skyrunner Series is a kind of World Championship of (proper) mountain running. Buff are just the sponsors.

The races are usually quite rough and more like what we are used to in the Lakes, Snowdonia or Scotland (not the trail races which are usually used for the World Trophy).

Bill, The Dolomite race was up and down by different routes. There's a diagram of the "track" on the website.