Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altra Lone Peak

Altra Lone Peak

Another new zero drop shoe from the US but with a bit more build quality.

Review on iRunFar here:

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/02/altra...ak-review.html
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Re: Altra Lone Peak

I have it since February. Roomy toebox, zero drop, very pleased with it.

sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread but I wondered whether anyone else has any views on these shoes - in particular I'm considering the version 2.0 for ultra distance on trails. My Inov8 Race Ultra 290 are giving me blisters so I think I need to find an alterative cushioned trail shoe with a roomy toebox, so this seems to be a good contender. Also, I'm used to zero drop from my road and fell shoes (saucony virrata 2 and New Balance MT00v2), which these are.

any first hand reviews?

I've had two pairs of these, I wore the first pair out completely - very comfortable and quite robust. They've got the width that I need. Only downer is that I sometimes wish the sole was a little more aggressive...

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread but I wondered whether anyone else has any views on these shoes - in particular I'm considering the version 2.0 for ultra distance on trails. My Inov8 Race Ultra 290 are giving me blisters so I think I need to find an alterative cushioned trail shoe with a roomy toebox, so this seems to be a good contender. Also, I'm used to zero drop from my road and fell shoes (saucony virrata 2 and New Balance MT00v2), which these are.

any first hand reviews?
    If you can get on with 0 drop(as stated) then a great shoe. Toe box is huge and reasonable amount of grip. They're surprisingly quick on technical descents despite their width. PlanetFear (Keswick) 01768 774422 have Altra's 1.5, 2's and Olympus at BARGAIN prices
    but only in store.

I'm sorry to hear the Race Ultra's are giving you blisters, they're still my favorite distance/trail shoe to date.( 0 drop hurts me after 10 miles!)

Love them, the 2.0's are much more durable than the 1.5's which always blow out around in the toebox upper for me. The 2.0's have more cushioning and I find more comfortable as well.

They're great on decent trails, but not brilliant in mud and my old 1.5's tried to kill me last year on the Vegan Welsh 3000's - I found them lethal on wet rock.

Have just picked up a pair of New Balance Leadville 1210's which I really like as a cushioned shoe - have put them through their paces in mud and mountains and they're performing pretty well. I'm usually in 4mm to zero-drop shoes but get on with them, (think they are 8mm drop)

thanks all for your comments.

Huw, what I like about the Inov8 Race Ultra 290s is the build quality and the comfort at first; but I think it must be just that they don't best suit my foot shape. I've had a big blister on one ultra (frostbite 30, right foot) and hot spot on the top of a toe on another (HH, left foot). If I'm going to complete the Lakeland ultimate in June (110k) I think I need to try and test an alternative.

I was tempted just to go for old faithful saucony peregrine again - although not particularly well cushioned they've always served me well at three peaks and longer trail runs.

But I've been seduced by the reviews and claims for the Altra and the lure of extra cushioning. time will tell whether it was a good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Huw View Post
    If you can get on with 0 drop(as stated) then a great shoe. Toe box is huge and reasonable amount of grip. They're surprisingly quick on technical descents despite their width. PlanetFear (Keswick) 01768 774422 have Altra's 1.5, 2's and Olympus at BARGAIN prices
    but only in store.

I'm sorry to hear the Race Ultra's are giving you blisters, they're still my favorite distance/trail shoe to date.( 0 drop hurts me after 10 miles!)

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    thanks all for your comments.

Huw, what I like about the Inov8 Race Ultra 290s is the build quality and the comfort at first; but I think it must be just that they don't best suit my foot shape. I've had a big blister on one ultra (frostbite 30, right foot) and hot spot on the top of a toe on another (HH, left foot). If I'm going to complete the Lakeland ultimate in June (110k) I think I need to try and test an alternative.

I was tempted just to go for old faithful saucony peregrine again - although not particularly well cushioned they've always served me well at three peaks and longer trail runs.

But I've been seduced by the reviews and claims for the Altra and the lure of extra cushioning. time will tell whether it was a good choice!
    A quick straw poll of PlanetFear Ultra bods came up with Hoka Rapa Nui 2's and Brooks Cascadia as worth trying for ultra's where a bit of grip is needed too. Good luck.

A preview of the Lone Peak 2.5:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm7-AdffDb4
    Still no protective rand round the shoe.

A preview of the Lone Peak 2.5:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm7-AdffDb4
    Still no protective rand round the shoe.