Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popping hip?

Popping hip?

Right some of you may have seen the problems I had in november with a tight itb and piriformis in my right side which got sorted out pretty quickly at the physio. I recently developed what appeared to be the same issue on my left side. This time I noticed the symptoms and got on it straight away with the stretches the physic shown me and lots of smr work with a roller and hard ball. Things appeared to loosen up nicely and the discomfort subsided. Over the weekend I've noticed my hip now makes a loud popping sound. Don't know the name of the move but say I have my feet together I raise my left leg so it's bent at the knee and my thigh is parallel to the ground. I then rotate my leg so my knee cap is pointing to the left and then put my leg back down to the start position. It's when I put my leg down that my hip makes a loud crack or popping sound. I don't experience any pain at this time put obviously it causes concern.

Should I be worried? What should I do?

Obviously I'm continuing the stretching and smr work in hope that this helps and prevents further ITB piriformis issues. Any other ideas would be greatly received. Zephyr whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Michael
    "That was the night everything changed"

Re: Popping hip?

It could be down to that move you've been doing in your avatar?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Super Moderator

I've been doing piriformis streches the last couple of months and everytime I do them my right hip pops. Carry on I say :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

What exercises did the physio recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    It could be down to that move you've been doing in your avatar?
    They're my new compression trousers :w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    What exercises did the physio recommend?
    Lie on my side do the usual quad stretch with my outside leg and try to get my knee of the leg to touch the floor. Also put the outside of my ankle on the knee of my other leg and stretch the piriformis (not the best descriptions but i'm sure you get the idea). Then all the usual roller and ball smr work. I also do the usual hip flexor and hamstring stretches.

On reading the thread Title I thought this was street talk for some new dance move...!
    Sorry I can't help

Sounds exciting.
    is it a "popping" in terms of a noise, or in terms of a feeling?
    and does it happen during your normal running gait? I would imagine that it doesn't (if Ive been doing the movements you described above correctly) (the movement would appear to be external rotation of the femur)
    If its not causing you issues with running/ day to day life, and only happens when you put yourself into and out of a stretch, I dont think I'd be too worried.
    Continue with the stretches/ exercises that the physio has suggested, he is the one thats seen you and has actually assessed you in "RL" but if it gets any worse, or noticable more "grungy" at that point, I'd be a bit more concerned and would go back.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    Sounds exciting.
    is it a "popping" in terms of a noise, or in terms of a feeling?
    Thanks for the reply. It's both a feeling and a noise. More of a knocking or clicking than a pop I guess. Definitely audible as people can hear it. Only feel it- hear it when doing that specific rotation.

Sounds like a remarkably similar type of thing to something I have... normally hips are ok, but when I go to get off the bike when its on the turbo, as I swing my leg back over it there is a rather excellent and audible clonk as something in my back/sacrum/ilieum does something funky. Doesnt bother me on a day to day basis and doesnt hurt when it happens.

If it starts to hurt or bother you, get it checked.