Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pain on inside leg above ankle

Re: Pain on inside leg above a

Bit of an update in case its any use to other runners.

My calf problem was down to running in snow drifts and cleared up really quickly with a bit of rest and running on easy surfaces. I then continued to struggle with lower back pain, tenderness at the back of my right knee, tight right calf etc whilst running up hill and very painful left knee when running down. I decided to go and get some professional advice and went to see Dave Jelley of Ripon (and Jelleylegs.co.uk) who is a really good ultra runner and physio.

He did some massage, a thorough assessment and even took me running whilst his son videoed me so that we could see what was happening. He has confirmed what I suspected which was that my sprained ankle has caused me to lose a lot of strength in my left leg again and the muscles are quite wasted in comparison to my right. I also roll my foot inwards astonishingly on that side, I was quite shocked. My right leg is probably compensating and getting tired quickly and I need to stretch to help the sciatic nerves in that leg (or something like that). He is going to put together a short programme for me to follow with some strength work for my left leg and some stretching for my right leg (obviously doing it on both sides) but I may have to get an orthotic for the left foot further down the line.

Anyway, he also was able to advise me on my running style and point out things to consider when ascending and descending. I do feel really positive about getting strong again and I am looking forward to enjoying my long distance runs again instead of just enduring them.

If anyone is in the area and needs to see a physio, I can thoroughly recommend Dave.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Glad to hear you've found the route of the problem. Sounds very much like what I've had & still can have now & then if my form drops. Massage, strength exercises but I also use KT tape to aid recovery

Quote Originally Posted by BionicBetty View Post
    Glad to hear you've found the route of the problem. Sounds very much like what I've had & still can have now & then if my form drops. Massage, strength exercises but I also use KT tape to aid recovery
    Do you find that KT tape helps at all BB ?? I'm open to most ideas but found that it didn't appear to do much for me. My Aussie physio has a very negative view of the KT tape, but I've heard so many people rave about it that there must be something to it ....
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Well without it I couldn't run. Wearing it enabled me to carry on without making anything worse but it helped aid recovery. I don't know why it doesn't work for some. Maybe it's not applied correctly?