Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pain on inside leg above ankle

Re: Pain on inside leg above a

Thanks ZHR, I've done a bit of reading now and understand a bit more about shinsplints. I think you maybe right, symptoms and the causes all add up to Tibialis posterior shin splints. Hmm...I have been running in an unbalanced manner due to the weakness in my left leg plus tramping through deep snow with a dog tucked under my arm and so a bit lopsided. Blast! Better get a really good strength and stretching regime sorted and stick with it from now on. I'll rest up a bit this week and see how things go. Am not ruling out the physio yet but want to give myself a chance to rest first as I really have upped my miles and been in tough conditions lately.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

there aren't many injuries other than shin splints* that are tender to the touch like that

(*yes it's a vague term that covers a variety of symptoms and cause)

Yep, sounds like shin splints. I've had them as well recently, I tend to get them in winter. This time they've been higher up than normal but lingered for a while. Ice and compression works for me, I use a tubi grip bandage all day when they're bad and for training as well. I haven't been able to pinpoint whether it's been shin splints or some sort of soleus/post tib strain, but as the treatment is more or less the same it doesn't really matter.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Thanks Rob, the compression idea is helpful and I happen to have a tubigrip thing from a previous injury. I am really glad that it is sounding like shinsplints...I did the stupid thing of trying to find out what was wrong via googling and its very depressing...anything from gangrene to fractures Anyway, as a certain forumite pointed out when I tried to diagnose my car problems with google, I brought the panic on myself! Much better to start by asking runners with experience of these things followed by a sports physio if needs be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Yep, sounds like shin splints. I've had them as well recently, I tend to get them in winter. This time they've been higher up than normal but lingered for a while. Ice and compression works for me, I use a tubi grip bandage all day when they're bad and for training as well. I haven't been able to pinpoint whether it's been shin splints or some sort of soleus/post tib strain, but as the treatment is more or less the same it doesn't really matter.

As Lynne says, it's impossible to say what it may be just from talk on a forum, so be wary of deciding it's definitely one thing (eg shin splints) when it could be another. For example, I recently saw someone who was convinced they had "shin splints" and the area of pain suggested that was what it could be....until I found the trigger point in his gastroc which was causing the pain to refer.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

You are right, I've got it in the back of my mind that I don't know for sure what it is and I will go and see my physio if it carries on. Asking for advice here just keeps things in perspective and helps to give me some idea of what it might be from a start point of not having a clue and panicking about worse case scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    As Lynne says, it's impossible to say what it may be just from talk on a forum, so be wary of deciding it's definitely one thing (eg shin splints) when it could be another. For example, I recently saw someone who was convinced they had "shin splints" and the area of pain suggested that was what it could be....until I found the trigger point in his gastroc which was causing the pain to refer.

I hope you are also factoring in my "nah, it'll be fine" expert advice too Hes

As always Stolly! The 'head in the sand and hope it goes away whilst keeping on keeping on' is a well known approach in sports medicine. :wink: I'm also factoring in your ability to carry me so make sure you are doing extra strength training, a bit of kundalini yoga wouldn't go amiss either.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I've noticed an uncharacteristic softness creeping into your posts on this thread Stolly. Get a grip! And you too Hes.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I used to get shinplints down the inside of my shin (so if you imagine looking down at a cross-section of the calf, at 2 o'clock); and quite far down towards the ankle.
    2 o'clock, presumably on your left leg; a similar position on your right leg would be 10 o'clock.

Some useful diagrams:http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shi...jd3QY&ved=0CE8

Anterior shinsplints are self explanatory in position; posterior shinsplints are at the posterior tibial edge, which is nowhere near the back of the leg, which can lead to some confusion.
    Last edited by Mike T; 08-02-2012 at 11:12 AM.