Thread: Soleus Strain or Achilles Prob

Soleus Strain or Achilles Prob

Hi all

Just wondering whether someone can shed any light on pain I've been getting during and after excercise. The pain itself is confined to slightly below the calf, initial thoughts were achilles but now I'm wondering whether it is more a soleus strain?

I had some minor discomfort before christmas and initially thought my trainers may need replacing, work went a bit crazy and I didn't get much time to train. Returning to training after a couple of weeks rest and a fresh set of trainers seemed to do the trick and I felt to be running well and in hindsight probably pushed my weekly mileage a little too much.

During the Hebden I had some discomfort around the soleus area from around half way round, however by Saturday evening after the race my left ankle had swollen and was sore to touch for a few days after particularly around the achilles.

Thinking it was the achilles I had another enforced rest of around 10 days, with only some commutes in to work by bike which doesn't seem to cause any aggravation. I've gently returned to running over the past 10 days - short 3 mile run both ankles feeling a little twingy but generally ok, and a couple of 5 mile runs one resulting in soreness around the soleus within 20 minutes of running and the other generally feeling fine until the the last couple of minutes of the run.

Like most of us, I'm chomping at the bit to get out and was hoping to have a strong run at the Haworth Hobble - with the current set backs its looking increasingly less likely.

From reading around it appears that a combination of rest/reduced mileage and some calf raises will probably sort things out if its achilles, but I can't really seem to find much reference to soleus strain. Anyone any experience of similar issues?

Going to do an easy run tonight and if I experience any niggles will follow up with a physio appointment to try and get some direction in terms of best to approach things.

Re: Soleus Strain or Achilles

Try getting a tubigrip bandage from the chemist and wearing it all day for a few days and ice as well if you can. Thats what I do with the numerous calf/shin/soleus niggles I've had. Mine generally ease during exercise though so yours may be different. Try sportsinjuryclinic.net for a bit more info
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Hi Rob

Thanks for the link, really useful. Hadn't come across that site before.

Having had a quick look it would seem to suggest that I've got Peroneal Tendonitis by the sound of things. Prognosis - rest, ice and plenty of streching. Will give all the above a good try over the course of the next few weeks in conjunction with establishing a reasonable base mileage.

Mike,
    this might help explain about the soleus and gastrocnemius muscles in the lower leg - just to ensure you are stretching correctly both with feet flat and when doing calf raises/drops - you need to do each stretch with your leg bent and straight to ensure both muscles are stretched since both blend into the achilles tendon
    http://globaltherapies.wordpress.com...alf-stretches/
    if it is your achilles the recovery can take a while to heal, depending on grade of injury. Goes without saying that I'd recommend sports massage, but the achilles has a very poor blood supply so is therefore slower to heal than muscles - massage can increase circulation and therefore help to speed up recovery, as well as help with your rehab generally.
    hope this helps,
    Lynne

I am just recovering from a soleus strain, started as a dull ache, ran through it and eventually it went pop and stopped me. calf raises will strengthen it after you rest it but to target the soleus you need to do calf raises with a bent knee
    "And what joy think ye, did they feel after the exceeding long and troublous ascent"