Thread: Running after a broken ankle

Running after a broken ankle

I can't have been the first, and wont be the last.... but having gone over on my ankle on New Years Day, and broken the bottom bit of the fibula, I am about to reach the 6 week point that seems to mark a return to normal. In the meantime, with splint on, I've been at the gym on cross trainers and cycling to keep some fitness. I confess to having ditched the splint sooner than recommended, but not for gym/cycling. Does anyone know what the norm is for resuming running?
    Can I just get on with it? If it's painful, ought I expect that and put up with it? What's the odds of making High Cup Nick at the end of the month?
    Any advice from other folk's experience very welcome.

Re: Running after a broken ank

Sorry OW I'm not sure I can help. I did break (well fracture) my ankle playing football yonks ago, some time last century in fact, and yes it did hurt when I started running again. Mind you we were tougher in those days and just got on with things

Take it very slowly,OW, hopefully sounds like your injury was a much more straightforward one than mine; I took the anterior lip of my tibia off(climbing) in July 2010, after 6 weeks in plaster I was discharged, I tried to slowly get back to fitness, but quickly developed symptoms of significant anterior impingement. Several months of physiotherapy later, I had an MRI, which confirmed anterior and posterior synovitis, and also a 1cm osteochondral defect of my Talar dome, a few months more of physio, I gave up and went back to the orthopods, and was listed for arthroscopy which I had July 2011. I had synovial debridement, washout and microfracture of my osteochondral defect of talus, and non-weightbearing for 6 weeks, followed by physio++, and guess what, I still don't have sufficient range of movement to run :thunbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by TobyM View Post
    Take it very slowly,OW, hopefully sounds like your injury was a much more straightforward one than mine; I took the anterior lip of my tibia off(climbing) in July 2010, after 6 weeks in plaster I was discharged, I tried to slowly get back to fitness, but quickly developed symptoms of significant anterior impingement. Several months of physiotherapy later, I had an MRI, which confirmed anterior and posterior synovitis, and also a 1cm osteochondral defect of my Talar dome, a few months more of physio, I gave up and went back to the orthopods, and was listed for arthroscopy which I had July 2011. I had synovial debridement, washout and microfracture of my osteochondral defect of talus, and non-weightbearing for 6 weeks, followed by physio++, and guess what, I still don't have sufficient range of movement to run :thunbdown:
    Sounds grim Toby! I think I'm not so bad - mine was the tip of fibula - the lesser bone - and was encouraged to weight bear from week 2,
    so hopefully I wont have to go through the hell you describe. Of course I'm hoping for 100 messages saying "go for it", but realistically, I'm sure slowly is good advice.

Good luck with your recovery....I'd just say not to overdo it too soon. the longer you leave the bone to heal initially will be better in the long term. not what you want to hear I know, but those medical folk who've got years of training and qualifications do know their stuff. if you're in doubt about their estimates for getting back to running go see a physio who is a runner and can empathise. I'd say its a good sign (as an indication of the severity of the injury) they got you weight bearing after just 2 weeks, but that doesn't mean go run a fell race just 8 weeks after breaking it. make sure you do do the exercises for strengthening and proprioception too!

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    Good luck with your recovery....I'd just say not to overdo it too soon. the longer you leave the bone to heal initially will be better in the long term. not what you want to hear I know, but those medical folk who've got years of training and qualifications do know their stuff. if you're in doubt about their estimates for getting back to running go see a physio who is a runner and can empathise. I'd say its a good sign (as an indication of the severity of the injury) they got you weight bearing after just 2 weeks, but that doesn't mean go run a fell race just 8 weeks after breaking it. make sure you do do the exercises for strengthening and proprioception too!
    Cheers Cyclops. 1st cycle ride today without leg brace felt ok. I take your point about going easy - will try a little tentative running in next few days and seek physio advice if there is a problem.