View Poll Results: What is fell running to you?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an all out fell racer

113 100.00%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is fell running to you?

What is fell running to you?

Sometimes on this forum I feel like one of a small minority of fell runners where fell racing isn't the be all and end all and just running and 'wilderness exploring' is the main thing. Don't get me wrong I like racing too (albeit for completely different reasons) and I guess I will enter a dozen or so races this year but, for me, running and wilderness exploring is what I love the very very most, especially with my trusty sidekick collie (and regular hangers on ) in tow.

I think Brett should add a 'Wilderness Exploring' thread category so as to give me a corner of the forum where I can feel more at at home. What do you think? (And no the general 'training' thread just doesn't cut the mustard as, when push comes to shove, I don't ever think of running in the hills as ever being 'training')
    Last edited by Stolly; 10-02-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Re: What is fell running to yo

I do both but I do really enjoy races, nothing like competing to feel truly alive
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

where's the choice..."it's my religion man..."

Master

There is nothing like a run with friends on hilly terrain - or the best local equivalent - followed by a drink/cake - but races are fun too. Even though I finish well towards the back of the field it is inspiring to see those around you interacting with the terrain, and witnessing their inner battle with tiredness/lactic acid ....

What a splendid question Stolly.

I dont know really. I dont usually "enjoy" racing as I just suffer and want it to end. But Im not the only one who feels that way. Yet I still long to race (once its over). To be able to test myself against other and to see how tough I am. Its also quite good to have a sense of "weirdness" status you have from your colleagues when the general question about about 4pm comes of "what are you doing tonight" ends for me in "Im going up Winter Hill.Yes, in the dark". I also have alot of respect from friends from what I get up to at the weekend.

I suppose thinking about it I centre all my "training" around being fit enough to race. It sounds really bad but at the moment Im not fit enough to perform how Id like to in races and therefore at the moment I wont even consider racing. Then when I think Im fit I'll look at investing in 4 new safety pins and off I pop.

I certainly cant knock a good social run in the fells though. Be it with friends or just with Joss the dog.

Aslong as I can run. Not fussed how far. Im happy.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 10-02-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: I before E except after C does not apply to the word "weirdness"

Super Moderator

I just like being outdoors but there is something about the 'thrill of the chase' when racing (however slow you are ) I'd rather go bird watching or flyfishing than run on the road mind :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    ...I think Brett should add a 'Wilderness Exploring' thread category so as to give me a corner of the forum where I can feel more at at home. What do you think?...
    I feel at home on your "Today's Wildlife Encounter" thread Stolly.
    For me fellrunning's about being in an environment where I can be at one with nature.
    I do like the odd race every now and then, but to be out on the fells on yer own, without anybody else "spoiling it", is what it's all about.
    I think there are a lot of racers who just don't appreciate what fellrunning's all about.
    When I see how some people treat the fells I wonder why they bother, they might as well be in any other crowd, at a football match for instance.
    When it comes to the hills and dales I'm a selfish b4st4rd, happy to be without other human contact.
    Bring on the "Wilderness Exploring" section.
    Last edited by wharfeego; 10-02-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    to be out on the fells on yer own, without anybody else "spoiling it", is what it's all about.
    When it comes to the hills and dales I'm a selfish b4st4rd, happy to be without other human contact.
    Absolutely. I remember a colleague of mine, a fairly elite fell racer, commenting that, if he so much as sees somebody out walking his dog during his morning run it ruins his day!

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    When I see how some people treat the fells I wonder why they bother, they might as well be in any other crowd, at a football match for instance.
    I joined a mountain bike club once, but left because of their attitude to the fells. They seemed to see the countryside as just another place to ride their bikes. I see running as just another way to enjoy the countryside.

I really do like racing as well, though.

For me running on the fells is another way to enjoy the wild experience and see more of it in a limited time. I enjoy running. I enjoy wilderness. Two pleasures for the price of one.
    Racing is different because you are more concerned with your own performance than with your environment. Battling lactic accumulation, breathlessness, fatigue, pain....you're more involved with the internal than the external (unless, of course you are being battered by freezing rain). Racing, you aren't likely to stop and watch a hunting peregrine.
    That said, I enjoy racing too.....but it's a different thing entirely. I've never done any of the long Lakeland races, and suspect I might enjoy them in a different way....more leisurely, navigating, more time to enjoy the surroundings.
    Most of my racing, when I was younger, was on BOFRA "up and down" courses. Pain on the way up....self-preservation on the way down.

I really want to go running out in the wilderness of Swedish Lapland, where I spend my summers. Trouble is, alone out on a densely forested hillside, running....I'd be concerned with becoming a sporting lunch for Bjorn the Bear.

I'm a bit of both. From a bit of a 'sad loser' perspective, I work on my own at home, I live on my own and I used to always run on my own and so a race was a great way to have a bit of social interaction doing something I love on a weekend, invariably sundays, when most 'civilians' are at the garden centre having domestics, cooking sunday lunch or (if very lucky) enjoying a 'lie-in' with their partner. However, I also like the fact that it pushes me, I like the competition and the challenge and the chance to catch up with people that I only see at races but since I've been doing more weekend runs in company my desire to race every weekend has diminished and I am cherry picking certain series and special events instead.

As for the wilderness aspect...that's what the joy of running is all about for me. I love the countryside and wildlife and I like to be outdoors in the elements. It keeps me feeling happy, healthy and sane.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'