View Poll Results: What is fell running to you?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an all out fell racer

113 100.00%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is fell running to you?

Re: What is fell running to yo

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I'm surprised by the number of wilderness explorers out there. Mrs Noel just raised an interesting point of what's your ratio of runs:races. I think mine is about 6:1 (and I voted mainly fell racer).
    Mine would be about 50:1....but that may change in the favour of racing when I'm fitter and more competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I'm surprised by the number of wilderness explorers out there. Mrs Noel just raised an interesting point of what's your ratio of runs:races. I think mine is about 6:1 (and I voted mainly fell racer).
    About 30:1

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    About 30:1
    About 260:1 for me last year, after that 1 last year it's likely to be about 260:0 this year
    pies

I am I the only one in this sport for the beer and cake?

The logic that leads me to fell running is:
    1. I want to eat beer and cake
    2. I don't want to be fat.
    3. I hate swimming as it is the most boring antisocial godforsaken sport in the world
    4. I want to spend as little of my potential beer and cake money as possible on my exercise
    5. I do not want to breath in fumes or be shouted at by men in vans while running, and I live next to beautiful moors
    6. If I enter fell races or go on club runs, I often get beer and cake.

Simple.

My ratio is 4:1, yet I'd class myself as more on the explorer side. It's just that I got less than 20 fell runs in last year, since the fell running is largely restricted to when I'm on holiday - so I tend to go for races where I can cover lots of ground, sometimes new ground - so last year I did a Rab mini, Edale Skyline, Borrowdale, and 2 days of the Rab.

the poll clearly shows that there is no majority of racing-serious types on here

there is a tendency to post more about racing/training/equipment etc, but I don't think that's down to a lack of a sub-forum to discuss wilderness exploring

for my own part, long days out on my own are what I enjoy most, but I don't post about them (much) because:
    (a) I can't imagine others being that interested
    (b) I haven't got time
    (c) part of the attraction is that they are personal to me - most of the best moments I've experienced on the fells I haven't ever told anybody about (partly cos there are some things you can't do justice in words)

I enjoy taking part in races too though - not for the racing (I'm yet to break the top half in a race), but for the personal challenge of improving, and also I like the feeling of being part of a "tradition" - being a (VERY) small part of sporting history in the making
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 11-02-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: stupid thing submitted before I was ready
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Wilderness? Where is this wilderness?

I voted for both but I run most days, dare I say it on roads and pavements at the moment going to and from work and being located near Watford there is not a lot of fells!! I really enjoy the days out in the hills and like combining both days out and my running. As for the racing side, I am a competitive person and enjoy races, the chasing down of those in front and the being chased. It is the only way to assess how good you actually are in comparison to others. I also enjoy the social aspect of them. Living where I do it is hard to get to races or days in the hills so I am looking for a good long race once a month, as can be seen by my race selection on the forum champs. If I have to travel hours to a race, then I want it to be worth while. My ratio of races to runs is therefore about 25:1.

I am so envious of those who only have to run out of their front doors straight onto the hills.
    Last edited by sore legs; 11-02-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Correct a spelling mistake
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Wilderness? Where is this wilderness?
    There is a little bit in Scotland but you can cross it in a long day. I tend to do a race a month mainly to push me to keep fit. I'm not very good my goal is to make the top 50%! My excuse is I'm old and will not compromise on my other interests of the pub and vindaloo.

I love to race in the hills. I love to have a leisurely run in the hills also. Just not fortunate enough to have easy access to the hills, so tend to use a race as a good excuse to make the effort to get to the fells/hills. Have been known to go to great length to get to races and I enjoy this challenge, it adds to the day/event Might get the single speed out to get down to Danby for the beacon race 2moro, about 70 mile round trip. When I first started running in the fells, Id be reluctant to go hiking anymore ( which I used to do a lot ) because I knew I could cover 2 or 3 times the ground on a few hour run, than I would be able to an a full days hike! I have got over this to an extent but only hike in places I haven't been ( I have to explore lots of the scottish highlands yet )