Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: New Balance MT110 Have Arrived

Re: New Balance MT110 Have Arr

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    They're brilliant shoes, I haven't worn my Inov8 fell shoes in about a month. I'm even thinking about running Teenager with Altitude in them...
    Would you say they're a bit more 'felly' than 'traily' really then? I'm looking for a good training shoe that'll be suited to the kind of trails we have round here you see.

There's too much choice, that's the problem!
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Hi all,

Busy thread here but thought I would give my two pennies worth ^^

Ran all last year in my MT101s which have fallen to pieces. Managed to get them from blacks for £19... Bargin

Anyway I was following the MT110 closely and have been waiting since the US release to get a pair and since getting a pair last week I've managed to put in about 80 miles or so.

The number of modifications and improvements on the 101 are huge.

The toe box is softer and feels wider. Not too sure if it actually is but the transition from 101s has been a massive improvement. On down hills my poor toes used to take a bit of a battering as they slipped a fair bit in the 101s. This hasn't happened yet in the 110s and I've done some very steep down hills. The chaffing on the pinkie toe that I think just about ever 101 user had has gone.

The fit in the mid foot is definitely different. being a lot more sock like and snug around the main arch of the foot. The laces seem to hold onto the foot better as in the 101s I had to do special lacing to get specific tightness in some areas.

The heel cup is a massive improvement as well. The fit is much more snug and soft compared to the hard 101. Going sockless is definitely a possibility now they got rid of the razor heel of the 101.

For me the sole is again a massive improvement. The rock plate gives lots more protection on the rocks but you can still feel them. Been running in the South Downs Way which is a hilly chalk/grass landscape and the tacky sole definitely holds better on both surfaces than the 101. One down side is the sole of the mid foot. I understand they are keeping it minimal but if you get a sharp rock on the soft foamy part it goes straight through! Ouch! Down hills and steep dry mud up hills the grip is fantastic.

I haven't had any wear problems with the upper yet nor any stretch marks in the synthetic part nor cracks formed. I've not run in the wet as it hasn't rained yet ) But will let you know if they start to fall apart as I saw some people mentioned it looked weak. From what I've seen so far the new upper is considerably stronger and more durable than the 101s.

One problem I've noted is a split between the heel and the synthetic upper has come off partly in one shoe. Anyone else had this?

In terms of looks... Similar to some 80s sci fi movie shoe = D Love it!

This is only my perspective from the 101 to the 110 with a few miles in the 110 run Hope this helps

Happy running

Phill
    Last edited by Phill.S; 30-03-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    Would you say they're a bit more 'felly' than 'traily' really then? I'm looking for a good training shoe that'll be suited to the kind of trails we have round here you see.

There's too much choice, that's the problem!
    I wouldn't say they were more felly than traily. They're excellent trail shoes, which cope well with fell conditions. I train on the fells in them and will use them for most Peak District races.

They coped very well on all surfaces round the Edale Skyline apart from deep boggy peat, unless it's something like Ben Nevis or Buttermere Sailbeck I'll probably wear my 110s, if it gets a bit wet and wild you'd want fell shoes. For long distance stuff the comfort makes them perfect.

The best Inov8 shoe to compare them with is the Roclite, but they're half the price and twice as good...

I wouldn't say they were more felly than traily. They're excellent trail shoes, which cope well with fell conditions. I train on the fells in them and will use them for most Peak District races.

They coped very well on all surfaces round the Edale Skyline apart from deep boggy peat, unless it's something like Ben Nevis or Buttermere Sailbeck I'll probably wear my 110s, if it gets a bit wet and wild you'd want fell shoes. For long distance stuff the comfort makes them perfect.

The best Inov8 shoe to compare them with is the Roclite, but they're half the price and twice as good...
    That's pretty much settled it! Will be ordering later. Just hope the 12s fit. Probably won't knowing my luck and it'll be back to the Inov8s 'on special offer' at £80+!
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by Phill.S View Post
    Hi all,

Busy thread here but thought I would give my two pennies worth ^^

Ran all last year in my MT101s which have fallen to pieces. Managed to get them from blacks for £19... Bargin

Anyway I was following the MT110 closely and have been waiting since the US release to get a pair and since getting a pair last week I've managed to put in about 80 miles or so.

The number of modifications and improvements on the 101 are huge.

The toe box is softer and feels wider. Not too sure if it actually is but the transition from 101s has been a massive improvement. On down hills my poor toes used to take a bit of a battering as they slipped a fair bit in the 101s. This hasn't happened yet in the 110s and I've done some very steep down hills. The chaffing on the pinkie toe that I think just about ever 101 user had has gone.

The fit in the mid foot is definitely different. being a lot more sock like and snug around the main arch of the foot. The laces seem to hold onto the foot better as in the 101s I had to do special lacing to get specific tightness in some areas.

The heel cup is a massive improvement as well. The fit is much more snug and soft compared to the hard 101. Going sockless is definitely a possibility now they got rid of the razor heel of the 101.

For me the sole is again a massive improvement. The rock plate gives lots more protection on the rocks but you can still feel them. Been running in the South Downs Way which is a hilly chalk/grass landscape and the tacky sole definitely holds better on both surfaces than the 101. One down side is the sole of the mid foot. I understand they are keeping it minimal but if you get a sharp rock on the soft foamy part it goes straight through! Ouch! Down hills and steep dry mud up hills the grip is fantastic.

I haven't had any wear problems with the upper yet nor any stretch marks in the synthetic part nor cracks formed. I've not run in the wet as it hasn't rained yet ) But will let you know if they start to fall apart as I saw some people mentioned it looked weak. From what I've seen so far the new upper is considerably stronger and more durable than the 101s.

One problem I've noted is a split between the heel and the synthetic upper has come off partly in one shoe. Anyone else had this?

In terms of looks... Similar to some 80s sci fi movie shoe = D Love it!

This is only my perspective from the 101 to the 110 with a few miles in the 110 run Hope this helps

Happy running

Phill
    Good accurate review IMO there Phill. And I had exactly the same problems with the 101s slipping on descents. Still have the black toenails to prove it!!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

They're brilliant shoes, I haven't worn my Inov8 fell shoes in about a month. I'm even thinking about running Teenager with Altitude in them...
    I recce'd TWA in them last week, they handled most of the terrain well, the only limitations for me, were on some steep grassy wet descents, but there weren't to many of them.

I'm going to decide on the day, if its relatively dry then deffo, otherwise the mudclaws will be coming out of early retirement!!

I just can't even contemplate wearing the claws again after these 110's! Suppose I will have to when it gets wet again though

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    MT110? Are these the ones described as' MT00' on the Sportsshoes website?
    PB, no, the MR00 (road) and the MT00 (trail) series are the latest zero drop shoes. The MT00 has no rock stop in the forefoot. It also has little or no cushioning and really is a near barefoot experience. I ordered these from New Balance. Lovely fit, but very unlikely to be useful to me as the trails I usually go out on are rough. Some might argue that they want a barefoot experience on these trails and on the fells, great for them. I have seen seasoned fell runners on long runs with just plimsoles!! Hence I returned them as I would probably just wear them in the park with the kids... not enough to justify £75! If you know that the trails you go out on are not full of stones jutting out at all angles, the MT00 is a fantastic shoe, particularly if you have already transitioned to lower heel drops (which I had in my MT10s).

The MT110 is the latest in the line of serious technical trail shoes. First there was MT100, then the MT101 and now the MT110. The MT100 and MT101 had heel to toe drops of 9-10mm depending where you look for info, and people were asking for a lower heel to toe drop in this type of shoe.

The MT10 is the minimus trail with a 4mm heel to toe drop and the natural last, but no rock stop in the forefoot and little cushioning.

Anton Kupricka and the Skaggs brothers help New Balance design the MT110, which is basically a hybrid of the MT10 (last shape and 4mm heel drop) and the MT100/MT101 (rock stop and a thicker sole generally for a little extra cushioning).

What they have added to is a different outsole for better grip and a laser cut synthetic upper which proved to be more popular on initial testing by NB's trial athletes as this held the foot better on trails than the mesh used previously in the MT10, MT100/MT101.

I think NB's next offering will be an evolution of the MT110 with a zero drop. I don't know what they are going to call it... MT0110 or the MT1100, who knows...
    Last edited by silentrunner; 30-03-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    If you're not running fast enough, walk instead!!

Cheers for that, SR; looks like the MT110 is the way to go. Most of my shoes are a 10, sounds like these are normal shoe sizing albeit a (necessary) snug fit?
    I mainly run on moors and rocky paths, all of which are quite hard and dry just now. From the sounds of it, the MT110 is just about right for those conditions.

Super Moderator

pb, MT110 are what I had on the other week at the Lion. I'm normally a 10 or 10.5 in Inov-8 and 10.5 in Walsh. An 11 in the MT 110 is about right. They're cracking shoes! :thumbup:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    pb, MT110 are what I had on the other week at the Lion. I'm normally a 10 or 10.5 in Inov-8 and 10.5 in Walsh. An 11 in the MT 110 is about right. They're cracking shoes! :thumbup:
    Agreed. I am usually 8 or 8.5 but I am a 9 in 110s.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.