Just a thought and something to ponder..... this is a question 'ive often asked myself, and i'm sure a lot of other runners do to? When Im running in a race, I suppose im running as hard as I can all the time, but actually that cannot be the case, as often I get to the end and im not really that knackered, so im thinking maybe I haven't been putting it all in.
But during the race at any given point I never think to myself, ' I can run this bit faster' or 'speed up rev your not trying hard enough', but like I said on countless occasions I get to the finish and think 'you should've ran harder in the first few mile' or whenever. Is this a common thing with fell running, that you coast through the race, and get to the end thinkning you could have ran harder? It happened yesterday, I lost concentration for a couple of mile and a few people got past me, but the last few mile I ran like the clappers and finished very strongly with a lot more to give, so im thinking I should have tried harder throughout the race. One day im going to try and finish a race foaming at the mouth, gasping for breath, veins popping out everywhere......

Do others think they give everything during a race?