Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Tour of Bradwell

Re: Long Tour Of Bradwell, 8/8

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I did Troller's Trot back in March, that's 25M and I got round in 5:40 which is 13 1/2 min/miling, and I walked long stretches after half way cos I was having a bit of a "bad day"
    I'm hoping to hold to no slower than 15-min-miling at LTOB, so if I can crack 8 hours I'll be happy

ain't Progressive Overload wonderful?!
    I'm actually using LTOB as a tester/stepping-stone towards Bullock Smithy at beginning Sept...
    If I wasn't away, I'd fancy the LToB; sounds a good 'un.

Did the Bullock Smithy last year and enjoyed it... really well organised; beautful countryside; great comaraderie and the weather was spot on.

See you there Daz
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

recce'd most of the latter half of LTOB today
    did about 23M total (inc. one unscheduled diversion )
    flippin knackered
    great course though - really looking forward to it now

lantern - it's a date!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Don't underestimate it novice. I did last year It seemed tougher than I expected with some good running but quite a lot of climbing on a hot day. Last year's results here might give you a target to aim for

http://www.darkandwhite.co.uk/result...20results.html
    I remember it well. Agree that it was significantly harder than anyone expected, although a fab day out.
    I'd be delighted to get anywhere near 8 hours this year, to give a bit of context, this year I've done the Haworth Hobble (31m) in 5:45, Calderdale Hike (36m) in 7:20ish, this is a similar distance but much harder!
    I just hope the dibbers are in more sensible places this time, not hidden around the back of trees or under bridges!

Well I'm in: just entered. Looks to be a good one this: has anyone got soft copy of last year's route description?

Cancel that request: just found one with Google.
    Last edited by Splatcher; 05-07-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Just been having a look through the route description - last year's I assume, although it's not dated. It mostly looks clear enough, but could someone who's done it before have a go at clarifying the bits that look a bit confusing? They are:
    1. It looks complicated from CP16 down to the railway bridge at 243793 (Upper Padley), following paths not on my map. Is it easy to find the route here, or is it easy to go wrong?
    2. Which is the right approach to CP18 along Highlow Brook? The right of way climbs way above the stream to the south, then drops back down. There's a path marked on my map on the north bank of the stream, but it's not a right of way. There's no path marked along the south bank. The route description doesn't tell you to cross to the north bank: it just says "continue up the valley". Which is the way to go: north bank, south bank, or do we have to climb out of the valley & drop down again?
    3. The final descent into Bradwell looks complicated. "Onto the lane down to a hollow then bear R up the short slope to an open area (The Green), straight on (Gently downhill) taking steps on the R." The lane leads down to the main road anyway. Where are the "hollow", "The Green" and the steps? Just before joining the main road or further up the hillside on the way into Bradwell? I suppose I could go & recce this on the morning of the race - I'd hate to go wrong that near the end.

It looks a good route anyway - bits I know & bits I don't, & no shortage of climbing.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

splatcher:
    1) CP16 down to the railway bridge - I thought I'd have trouble with that bit, but was actually dead easy - as you go through the kissing gate (not stile) you just go straight on down the bank (very steep) and drop to an easily visible path, go right (SW) contouring along through quarry until you get to the ruins of what would've been the housing for pulling the trucks up the incline (don't know technical term), then down the incline to where an obvious path comes across at right angles (and the incline below is heavily overgrown anyway), left at the path for a few yards, then down right alongside wall
    2) Highlow Brook - well spotted! I just followed the main path to the South, which involved quite a lot of ascent/descent to Stoke Ford - I should've noseyed over the first footbridge to check for a path to the north but didn't
    need somebody else on this one...
    (and 3) cos didn't do that bit)
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    splatcher:
    1) CP16 down to the railway bridge - I thought I'd have trouble with that bit, but was actually dead easy - as you go through the kissing gate (not stile) you just go straight on down the bank (very steep) and drop to an easily visible path, go right (SW) contouring along through quarry until you get to the ruins of what would've been the housing for pulling the trucks up the incline (don't know technical term), then down the incline to where an obvious path comes across at right angles (and the incline below is heavily overgrown anyway), left at the path for a few yards, then down right alongside wall
    2) Highlow Brook - well spotted! I just followed the main path to the South, which involved quite a lot of ascent/descent to Stoke Ford - I should've noseyed over the first footbridge to check for a path to the north but didn't
    need somebody else on this one...
    (and 3) cos didn't do that bit)
    Thanks Daz!
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    3. The final descent into Bradwell looks complicated. "Onto the lane down to a hollow then bear R up the short slope to an open area (The Green), straight on (Gently downhill) taking steps on the R." The lane leads down to the main road anyway. Where are the "hollow", "The Green" and the steps? Just before joining the main road or further up the hillside on the way into Bradwell? I suppose I could go & recce this on the morning of the race - I'd hate to go wrong that near the end.
    It's all abit of a fog I'm afraid, although I don't remember having any difficulties on the last bit. I seem to think you just kind of drop down to a largish road, through some grass and down some steps, which presumably are 'The Hollow', 'the green', and 'the steps'.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    It's all abit of a fog I'm afraid, although I don't remember having any difficulties on the last bit. I seem to think you just kind of drop down to a largish road, through some grass and down some steps, which presumably are 'The Hollow', 'the green', and 'the steps'.
    We passed the correct path on the left to drop down into Bradwell and had to walk back up the lane. I seem to remember feeling quite tired at the point
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    We passed the correct path on the left to drop down into Bradwell and had to walk back up the lane. I seem to remember feeling quite tired at the point
    Ah yes.
    But I do remember some grass, some steps, my toe hurting, and being sunburnt. Probably not that much use to Splatcher.