Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: Long Tour of Bradwell

Great event with superb RO and team. Waitress service at the end- soup was wonderful. Really hot and sunny, drank gallons but still dehydrated this morning. thanks to Pete Bland for sponsoring the winners vouchers and to Si Berry at Beta climbing for the Injinji and Ultimate Direction prizes

Those post race drinks really makes the day complete

Yet another gorgeous day at LToB. Results seem to be missing a few, though. I know there were more than 2 DNFs; I'm one of the missing. It must be teething problems with the new electronic timing system.

Thanks to the DNF I was back in time to cheer in and photograph the leaders back in Bradwell, which is always a pleasure that's getting less rare as the years tick by. Photos.

I was a dnf too - retired at CP9 at about the same time as Andrew Jones (who is one of the only two retirees shown in the official results). We followed the half tour route back to the finish. The marshals at CP9 weren't sure how to register a retirement and at the finish my "dibber" was just taken away. If it had been a traditional dibber I would have assumed it was not downloaded. Notwithstanding all that, it was indeed a gorgeous day, if a bit on the warm side (I was still dehydrated the following morning, I think), and a superb event. I plan to be back next year.

Tim Brockington

I DNF'd at Upper Burbage after 7 hours out - that was enough - I was borderline dehydrated/heat-struck I reckon - I weighed myself when I got in and I was 10 lbs down - after my pre-race wee I went 15 hours before my next one
    that was my 5th start - I still love the route and the event is superbly organised
    I'd do it again, but only on a cooler day!
    (or just do it myself in training at a different time of year)
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

A pair of us doing a recce tomorrow on the second part of the Long Tour - going to park in Bradwell, drive a second car to start from either Bamford or the car park below Stanage Edge/ Bole Hill, then run back to Bradwell.

Any recommendations for where to leave a car in Bradwell? Google streetview suggest there are no gates on the car park at the Sports Club...
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

I've parked a couple of times on the little side road that forms the short side of the triangular park (if that makes sense!) - there's not many houses overlooking, so you don't feel too self-conscious about changing into/out of kit!

I've done both halfs of the route with just one car parked at either Bradwell or Yorkshire Bridge - it's less than 4 fairly flat miles between the two, to add on to make it a single loop.
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 29-06-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Thanks. The nice lady scoring the bowls at the Sports Club was quite effusive in her insistence that I must park there because there was nowhere else. Lovely lady.
    Worked out well and had a thoroughly good jog round.
    Much prefer the easternmost choice for the far right hand end of the route, neither Higger Tor nor the valley route but the Sheffield path way.
    Interesting historical cut through Bole woods and the old quarry, seemed to find a good enough line. An inclined plane! Not heard of one of those since O level physics!
    Narrow paths up through the clough after, but nice tracks to bring you to the view back into Bradwell and the blot on the landscape that is the cement works.
    Good day out, 13.5miles from below Stanage back to Bradwell.
    Will recce the first half later, but know most of it already from other races and reckon the second half must be 'easier', except that we'll already have done 20 miles by then...
    Best Wishes

David

Recce'd the first 14.5 miles last week; definitely seems like the worst 'half' in terms of ascent.
    Run it all now except the section from the dam to Stanage Edge through Bamford - a long slow pull uphill seemingly.

What are the fuel options like at the water stations - looks like water, bananas and biscuits from the Bradda Dads FB page? Likely to be something left for those of us hoping to finish in around 8hrs?
    Best Wishes

David

MrRTS put his nose into the Ultra World for the 1st time on his race 30 of 50@50. He did better than we expected so not many photos as I was support at 3 places as well as photographer and Beau dog handler. Not sure he will do another. He enjoyed it as the route was blooming brilliant! However, not sure Ultra Running is for him. No aches or pains as he kept heart rate under his lactate threshold but he still had this weird leg muscle twitch until midnight haha.
    115 started. MrRTS 14th, 2nd V50 in 06:28:00.
    1st Male Lee Kemp - MS - Waverly Harriers 05:03:51.
    1st Female Nicky Spinks W50 Dark Peak Fell Runners 06:23:36.
    Results here - http://wolfspitfellrace.org.uk/image...overall%20.pdf

https://goo.gl/photos/Frm1n51QtZcV5QM57 Set 1

https://goo.gl/photos/JpAvECTekHiboH8R6 set 2

Thank you to the super organisers, marshals, supporters and runners. Brilliant race as you have to be pretty good on your navigation too. Nigel is raising money for the Thomas Theyer Foundation. No obligation but if you wish to make a small donation from as little as £2 please follow this link -
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Nigel-Jeff Thomas was a keen fell runner who ran for Buxton AC. He died in 2013 just a month after his 18th birthday when falling on Parkhouse hill whilst out on a training run. Thomas had ADHD and running helped him cope with his condition.
    Thank you so much. If anyone wants the high quality original please give us a shout noting the file name bottom left. Original has none of the writing on. Keep on running every one :-)