Thread: Montane Spektr vs Minimus?

Montane Spektr vs Minimus?

I´ve got a chance to get and review one of these waterproofs. Which one should I choose and why?
    Last edited by swedentrails; 02-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Excuse my spelling, i´m Swedish! - www.swedentrails.com

Re: Montane Spektr vs Minimus?

Well they are pretty different aren't they.

For a start the Spektr is made using Event and thus a fair bit more expensive, plus it has no zips, is a smock and has no peak.

I've been toying with a few, narrowing it down to a few including the Minimus and the Air jacket, but I can see the Minimus being dropped although it looks a cracking jacket, because I want an Event jacket.

Yea, my mind tells me that Minimus is more versatile but my heart tells me Spektr´s the one.. I can choose an Air to, but it seems a little to bulky with helm compatible hood and 100g of extra weight. I will only use it running..

Quote Originally Posted by swedentrails View Post
    Yea, my mind tells me that Minimus is more versatile but my heart tells me Spektr´s the one.. I can choose an Air to, but it seems a little to bulky with helm compatible hood and 100g of extra weight. I will only use it running..
    Yeah the air is a touch on the heavy side in the world of super lightweight gear!

They recommend using one of the Montane caps when wearing the Spektr for adding the peak, but i'm not convinced.

I want to buy a Montane shell, but I can see myself opting for the Rab Demand in the end.

Demand seems like a great smock, Omm cypher to. But it´s Montane only this time.!

I bought the Spektr, havent had a chance to use it in any really demanding situations yet.
    The reason I chose it was because its eVent, (and I wanted to try that out) and also its a bit different to the majority of other jackets at the moment. Wish I had a cypher and a Demand to compare it to.
    The closure is a bit fun to get right, and takes a small amount of learning, and the hood is fine as long as your head fits it.

not sure which I would choose if I was you... I think I'd go for the minimus as it seems like one of those jackets that if you buy it and it falls apart because it is so lightweight, its a complete arse, but if you get it to review and it falls apart, you can give them decent feedback. The Spektr I dont imagine is going to fall apart anytime soon as its more of a lightweight alpine top which is light enough for running use.
    shame you can only get one of them!

I´ll get the Fireball to, seems like a great match to Spektr.! Might even get the Dyno softshell to, sometimes life´s great!