Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anniversary Waltz

Anniversary Waltz

Anybody doing a recce of the course?

Re: Anniversary Waltz

Will be having a look at course the weekend before the race. Got a injury at mo so can't go any sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Will be having a look at course the weekend before the race. Got a injury at mo so can't go any sooner.
    Me too. Probably the Sunday.

Ok mattp,not sure what day yet. Will post on here closer to the time. Do you know the route at all?

Erm. Kind of. Did Dale Head, Hindscarth and Robinson from the Buttermere Side last week but not done the full waltz route from Newlands. Should be able to work it out. Saw a couple of runners who looked like they were doing a recce last week and noticed a trod that comes off Robinson to cut up the side of Hindscarth. After that it should be straight forward (he says crossing fingers and toes).

I had a trot round on Monday from Buttermere up Robinson and then the rest of the anti-clockwise round, then back down Robinson. I'd not been up there before and was blown away by the views. Stunning. especially on a day like that.

It all seemed straight forward enough. Apart from 2 sections really. The first being when to head west and up on Robinson. I followed the river then followed a faint path from the dam then cut to the summit. It being the first time up there I have now idea if this is preferable to getting up onto the ridge earlier?

I also couldn't figure out the best line coming off Dale head down to the tarn. I aimed for the tarn pretty directly but ended up drifting to far right. Once at the bottom i could see a much steeper but direct route but at that point there was no way I was going to go up again to give it a go.

I might try and get up there again before if I get chance. More down to it being such a lovely run than route choices. But I guess its a bonus.

All good info,looking forward to getting a run around this.

It's a piece of cake to be honest - no need to recce.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8011535...7604637599232/
    Have a look at some pics on this link - you will see how there are a few lines up Robinson and it would seem from having tried a few different ones that it doesn't really matter.

As for the descent of Dalehead, it seems the elite end / good descender seem to take a left hand line, more careful runners head right of the tarn and most direct for the tarn.
    Not sure it's going to make or break your race whatever you do.

But it's fantastic and as slow as I am this year I'm still thoroughly looking forward to it. It will be steady as I'm at the PPP the week after.

i might go for a recce on 7th or 8th

Excellent pics Witton park- Might be a piece of cake,still want to reece it-looks a top route.