Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice sought .....

Re: Advice sought .....

Dogfish I would suggest you try to get back to a routine that includes sit ups and weight training, I did my back in (slipped a disc I think) about 5 years ago and then stopped sit ups etc, and then continued running but not much else except a bit of cycling and I think the lack of core strength combined with lots of running caused lots of problems to develop with my hips and back. Cyclops mentioned this imbalance on another thread an it makes a lot of sense to me. Also, Christopher Leigh told me a while back that if I did (appropriate) weight training I would not need to stretch and I didn't believe him but he was right. Good luck.
    Last edited by Grouse; 04-03-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: beacus I can'r string a coherent snetnce togthe rany more.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Yes I agree with what you say and if my diagnosis turns out to be si joint I will look at returning to my old regime, I basically stopped doing anything other than running because of what the first gp said about damaged abdominals, in retrospect I think he was wrong, I would be a lot happier if I just knew for sure what was what !

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Zaf, thanks for the reply, although self diagnosis is not really the thing to do I have suspected for a while that Sacroiliac joint dysfunction is my problem.. I have an appointment tomorrow and I was going to remain tight lipped about my self diagnosis until I hear what an expert has to say.

Have you continued running throughout, and if so was this encouraged or frowned upon by your physio ?

Oh and which did you find of most benefit, physio or chiropractor ?
    Dogfish
    First couple of weeks was total rest, followed by literally 5 -10 mins running on grass a couple of times a week for the next 3 -4 weeks and gradually increasing. Quite sore at first and a bit disheartening but I stuck at it.

Sports Physio / Chiropractor was one and the same and he encouraged me to keep everything moving very gently and leave the wrist watch at home. Gave me exercises to do which helped and I found some good ones on You Tube too. He is a runner and Tri competitor too so understood the need to keep going. He did some deep massage and stretching and believe me I felt it :w00t:but felt better after it. I'm still not at 100% but I am able to run 2 -3 times a week one of which is a long run 8 -12 miles but can't push the pace otherwise it flares up and complains so its a good job I'm slow anyway.
    Hope this keep your spirits up I know how frustrating it is . Good luck

Master

Sounds a bit like pubic symphysitis, with resulting muscle spasm/tightening. An X-ray of this area is usually abnormal, but it depends on when it was done, and on the expertise of the person looking at it. A visit to a sports injury clinic sounds a good way forward.

Firstly thanks for all replies so far... as for which movements hurt... that's the problem.Twelve months ago I was totally niggle free, first symptoms were ache in lowest abdominals where they attach to pubic symphysis and tenderness over the actual symphysis joint, as well as dull ache in the inguinal region this prompted a trip to the GP who ruled out a hernia of any type
    Despite what your doctors said, I'm inclined to think you may have an early hernia. I've developed very similar symptoms recently but have no bulge or lump to speak of. I do get pain when I cough or sneeze though. Do you get this?I've not troubled my doctor yet so I can't be sure but I'm told that ultrasound is sometimes used these days to aid diagnosis so maybe that might reveal something. Alternatively you may just have to wait for your hernia to become more obvious before going back to your doctor.Can't help you with your other pains I'm afraid.

Master

" I do get pain when I cough or sneeze though. "

Pain in the midline of the symphysis pubis when sneezing/coughing is typical of pubic symphysitis - with hernias it tends to be away from the midline.

The story so far.... no pain when coughing or sneezing, hernia also ruled out by sports therapist (my monday appointment) apparently my back is in remarkably good order. Sacroiliac appears okay and have good range of movement in back and pelvic area.
    What she did find was... piriformis in spasm causing glute to contract in sympathy, tight hip flexor muscles, very tight adductors particularly left siide, and tight sore inguinal tendons both sides, lots of stretches to do and another appointment.
    Still not sure if there is a root cause !
    on the plus side she said i can still run, in fact I get very little pain at all whilst actually running.
    Guess i will just keep running and stretching till it gets better ... or worse !

I would say that rthe root cause is lack of core strength.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

The story so far.... no pain when coughing or sneezing, hernia also ruled out by sports therapist (my monday appointment) apparently my back is in remarkably good order. Sacroiliac appears okay and have good range of movement in back and pelvic area.
    What she did find was... piriformis in spasm causing glute to contract in sympathy, tight hip flexor muscles, very tight adductors particularly left siide, and tight sore inguinal tendons both sides, lots of stretches to do and another appointment.
    Still not sure if there is a root cause !
    on the plus side she said i can still run, in fact I get very little pain at all whilst actually running.
    Guess i will just keep running and stretching till it gets better ... or worse !
    Does it hurt like hell when you're laid down flat in bed or on the couch?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Core strength could be lacking now but prior to this all kicking off I would say my core strength was pretty good.Pain in left buttock does hurt more when driving, and lying on couch, okay whilst in bed.