Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Moel Famau night race

New Moel Famau night race

http://www.thisonecounts.co.uk/nitronorth.htm

Always interested to see new races, especially local ones. Night trail racing seems interesting and newly challenging, and although this is expensive compared to your normal fell race, I'll give it a go.

Re: New Moel Famau night race

There's talk of a "Race Director", but no actual name is given for the R.O.? All seems a bit clandestine; some faceless, commercial/profiteering "racing company" muscling in on Welsh Harrier's patch? Come on Martin, sort 'em out!!:w00t:
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I love Martin's races and have done nearly all of them since he started them. I don't think I'd place this race in the same category as Martin's midweek classics, which for me are the essence of summer and I'm always sad after the GGGOH each year as it feels then like summer is over. I don't think this threatens Martin's races at all.

It is, however, a bit different and worth a go. I like that someone has taken a punt at doing a nighttime race here (to add to Ben's races at Llandegla). Do we claim ownership of areas now as ROs? Of course not, and I can't imagine Martin doing that!

I'll do the race and then form a view. It's always good to see a new race and I don't really care who organises it.

Wow, 15 squid? Missed a trick with my 'Dark Un'. Still, it's a nice website...

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    There's talk of a "Race Director", but no actual name is given for the R.O.? All seems a bit clandestine; some faceless, commercial/profiteering "racing company" muscling in on Welsh Harrier's patch? Come on Martin, sort 'em out!!:w00t:
    Jamie Evans & Graeme Corlett.

http://www.thisonecounts.co.uk/aboutus.htm

£
    15 though :closed: , I'm out.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

£15 for a 6Km race is too expensive - I'll not be going.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    I love Martin's races and have done nearly all of them since he started them. I don't think I'd place this race in the same category as Martin's midweek classics, which for me are the essence of summer and I'm always sad after the GGGOH each year as it feels then like summer is over. I don't think this threatens Martin's races at all.

It is, however, a bit different and worth a go. I like that someone has taken a punt at doing a nighttime race here (to add to Ben's races at Llandegla). Do we claim ownership of areas now as ROs? Of course not, and I can't imagine Martin doing that!

I'll do the race and then form a view. It's always good to see a new race and I don't really care who organises it.
    I agree ST - good luck to them! I'd be interested in feedback - I'd go and have a look but I'm up in Newcastle on Saturday.

(PS Not sure about £17 on the day! You can run a 26 mile race over the Clwydians on 31st March for £12 - and this is a fundraising event!)

(PPS We now charge £4 for all our races apart from The Jubilee Plunge which is £1 and we've raised £1000's for local hospices over the years.)

It is pricey, and I'll explore that with the ROs if i get a chance.

Surely the £1 for the jubilee plunge has to be the best bargain in fell running! £4 is a steal as well for the clywdian trots - really looking forward to them this year.

I'll let you know how it goes WH

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    It is pricey, and I'll explore that with the ROs if i get a chance.

Surely the £1 for the jubilee plunge has to be the best bargain in fell running! £4 is a steal as well for the clywdian trots - really looking forward to them this year.

I'll let you know how it goes WH
    Unfortunately its getting pricey.. over here in the states £80-130 isn't uncommon and there's very few races under $30...

Its a joke.. I don't mind £30 for a marathon or the odd major race but this price is just incredible.. Compare that with races like the Trunce

The only way to stop it is not support them and support the value for money races. I've done a few I thought were too expensive so won't do again. For example £5 to run 4 laps of the cricket pitches at that deeside grand prix.. an absolute classic of a race...

I don't see how a race is someone's turf though... The more race organisers the more sustainable a sport will be.

I'll be avoiding it for ideological reasons. The dirty hand of commerce is upon us.