Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what excersies can I do

what excersies can I do

....whilst out injured to try and maintain some semblance of fitness?

Throughout this year, ive been training once a week, a hard interval session with my club, real quality session. Then ive been resting up till racing on the weekend. So im probably running 15-20 mile a week. I cant manage anymore than this as I have a shin injury that prevents me from doing anymore than that.
    Would doing leg weights be benefical to me whilst im not running much? or what else should i be considering doing? apart from complete rest

Ta very much like

Re: what excersies can I do

What's the nature of your shin injury and could you do some cycling Rev? Its what I turn to when injured and I'll be getting back on my bike to build up my weedy left leg too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post

Throughout this year, ive been training once a week, a hard interval session with my club, real quality session. Then ive been resting up till racing on the weekend. So im probably running 15-20 mile a week. I cant manage anymore than this as I have a shin injury that prevents me from doing anymore than that.
    Would doing leg weights be benefical to me whilst im not running much? or what else should i be considering doing? apart from complete rest

Ta very much like
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Ta very much like
    sorry to hear you're injured. it's difficult to know how to advise if you don't tell us exactly what's wrong. are you having treatment for it? its best to get a diagnosis so you know the best way to rehab and whether cycling or swimming (what is often used in periods when you can't run) should also be undertaken. like I say, swimming or cycling are the usual rehab options, but strength training, proprioceptive work and using climbers/steppers/cross-trainers in gyms can help.

ps. are you still running whilst injured?

Lower leg injuries more often than not have their root cause around the hips. You should certainly do some pilates type core exercises and hip flexibility/strength exercises.

well i went for some physio late last year and essentiallly wasted a few hundred quid over the course of a month! The physio did mention that it could be a stress fracture, but she wasnt sure. Maybe the combined knowledge of the forum might be able to offer a diagnose.....The area affected is on my left shin, if I run my thumb down the inside edge of my left shin bone, I can feel the sore spot a couple of inches above my ankle. It feels similar to a bruise when I press on it. The problem affected my other shin, at exactly the same area, at one point but that has cleared itself up somehow.
    When I run the pain is quite sharp and concentrated to that exact area, but wears off after the first minute or two as I am warmed up. It settles down in time but not to the extent where I think its gone. I havent ran since tuesday and it still feels that it would be unwise to run on it at the moment. I hope this paints some kind of picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    What's the nature of your shin injury and could you do some cycling Rev? Its what I turn to when injured and I'll be getting back on my bike to build up my weedy left leg too.
    thanks hes, im cycling to and from work a couple of times a week, about 2 hours a day 3 days a week, I will continue to do this

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    sorry to hear you're injured. it's difficult to know how to advise if you don't tell us exactly what's wrong. are you having treatment for it? its best to get a diagnosis so you know the best way to rehab and whether cycling or swimming (what is often used in periods when you can't run) should also be undertaken. like I say, swimming or cycling are the usual rehab options, but strength training, proprioceptive work and using climbers/steppers/cross-trainers in gyms can help.

ps. are you still running whilst injured?
    yes I have been running injured for quite a while now, just trying to manage it, I did have 3 weeks rest before xmas but the injury just flared up as soon as I started again. I was thinking maybe I need a couple of month off, but that thought is unbearable lol

yes I have been running injured for quite a while now, just trying to manage it, I did have 3 weeks rest before xmas but the injury just flared up as soon as I started again. I was thinking maybe I need a couple of month off, but that thought is unbearable lol
    I can understand why you might be cautious of spending more money on treatment if the physio you saw didn't cure the problem. if a fracture was suspected the physio should have referred you for an xray and given appropriate advice, such as not running, as that would aggrevate the issue. I still think you need to get this diagnosed and treated appropriately. the fact that rest for 3 weeks hasn't solved the issue, and neither is running while injured, points to the fact that it isn't going to resolve unless you get some sort of treatment.

I also understand why you ask for a diagnosis from fellow forumites but I'd warn against this as it is no substitute for someone getting hands on and locating the exact point and structure (tendon, bone, muscle, scarring from injury) that is causing the pain. not only are there many structures in the area you are talking about, but you also have to look at extrinsic factors - shoes, running terrain, mileage and a whole host of other issues to get the full picture.

Well ive decided to take a month off, with a bit of luck it will put me right

When I had an extended period off a couple of years ago with an ankle injury sustained on the Carneddau I found, while I couldn't run beacuse I couldn't weight bear, that I could do freestanding deep squats coming up onto my toes each time. Gradually built up till I was doing hundreds (4 - 500 at a time at a regular beat - try it). I was surprised how little I'd lost when I got back out on the fells. I actually think they are a great exercise but hardly ever do them when I'm running because you can't do everything. Apart from these I agree with others about core exercises.