Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertigo

Vertigo

Just wondered if anyone else has or has had this.
    Basically it means experiencing dizziness and accompanying balance probs and is caused by the interupption of the flow of the fluid in the ear which acts as a spirit level.
    It's more complex than that though, for the eyes and part of the brain are involved as well, and environmental and psycological factors can come into play.

Mine first kicked in about 8 years ago after an ear infection, disappeared within a week.

Returned some 3 years later and forced a job change.

Has been quiet until last couple of weeks when I've done a bit of pavement surfing, but running seems to help! Still very scary and staying on top of any fear is for me what makes it manageable. Worse in the morning as most things are.
    The internationally famous pork-faced mentalist

Re: Vertigo

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like proper vertigo, not the acrophobia I experience. I'm afraid I can't offer any helpful suggestions.

Super Moderator

Piglit I had a bad do with this a few years ago. I don't know if it was stress related as it coincided with job instability and a rather difficult relationship too. I had symptoms you describe and it is indeed scary. I well remember holding on to a table at work one morning thinking I was going to keel over Can't offer any advice sadly but mine cleared up as mysteriously as it appeared. Good luck
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I get dizzyness all the time. Currently being investigated at the Docs, blood tests etc. Generally when I stand up I sometimes I have to sit back down or worse, get on my hands and knees until it passes. Sometimes it comes with shaking, and can be quite violent. I have burned myself with coffee and cracked me head on a coffee table once when I was shaking, on hands and knees, and me arms gave way: head-first in to coffee table. Worst one, and first time I remember it happening, was when I was about 18, I stood up on my bed to change the channel on my TV, and I just went dizzy, blacked out, and woke up on the floor having cracked various parts of my body on me bedside locker and wardrobe.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by The Piglit View Post
    Just wondered if anyone else has or has had this.
    Basically it means experiencing dizziness and accompanying balance probs and is caused by the interupption of the flow of the fluid in the ear which acts as a spirit level.
    It's more complex than that though, for the eyes and part of the brain are involved as well, and environmental and psycological factors can come into play.

Mine first kicked in about 8 years ago after an ear infection, disappeared within a week.

Returned some 3 years later and forced a job change.

Has been quiet until last couple of weeks when I've done a bit of pavement surfing, but running seems to help! Still very scary and staying on top of any fear is for me what makes it manageable. Worse in the morning as most things are.
    Have you checked your blood pressure mate ???

Yes have checked the BP. I have a history of it being relatively high but have got a monitor and it seems to have improved if anything - typically 140/93

I don't take any pills for the BP. A few years ago my GP(allowng for exagerration) told me I could die from a stroke and should take diuretics. Claimed that a long run or bike ride wouldn't cause any dehydration probs when the truth is diuretics + serious excercise = death.

Also re acrophobia, if you mean agoraphobia then I have this also though whether its a co-morbidty I don't know and I don't care cos it's all getting better.

Stress? Well of course. Went through a bereavement and a load of related stuff a few years back. Coped well but when it was all over and paradoxically I relaxed.....bang....probs started.

Interestingly no-one I tell about any of this (and I only tell em when I have to) seems to believe me. Example, my boss wanted me to travel to another part of the country When I told him I would go of course but it would be a bit tricky as I have the occaisional wobbly etc. his jaw dropped "but your the most confident member of the team and have the best sick record" etc...

Similarly at work if anyones got any probs they need to talk over its always. "Fancy a cup of coffee piglit oh your so understanding"

Well that's enough mundane existentialism for now.

As Eric Morecombe used to say "Keep going you fool keep going"
    Last edited by The Piglit; 30-03-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Also re acrophobia, if you mean agoraphobia then I have this also though whether its a co-morbidty I don't know and I don't care cos it's all getting better.
    No I mean acrophobia, an extreme or irrational fear of heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    No I mean acrophobia, an extreme or irrational fear of heights.
    vertigo is not a fear of heights though and if it was, it would not be irrational as vertigo is a medical condition
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Yes have checked the BP. I have a history of it being relatively high but have got a monitor and it seems to have improved if anything - typically 140/93

I don't take any pills for the BP. A few years ago my GP(along for exagerration) told me I could die from a stroke and should take diuretics. Claimed that a long run or bike ride wouldn't cause any dehydration probs when the truth is diuretics + serious excercise = death.

Stress? Well of course. Went through a bereavement and a load of related stuff a few years back. Coped well but when it was all over and paradoxically I relaxed.....bang....probs started.

Interestingly no-one I tell about any of this (and I only tell em when I have to) seems to believe me. Example, my boss wanted me to travel to another part of the country When I told him I would go of course but it would be a bit tricky as I have the occaisional wobbly etc. his jaw dropped "but your the most confident member of the team and have the best sick record" etc...

Similarly at work if anyones got any probs they need to talk over its always. "Fancy a cup of coffee piglit oh your so understanding"

Well that's enough mundane existentialism for now.

As Eric Morecombe used to say "Keep going you fool keep going"
    Any way bud, if it is stress related (and it can be) get off to docs and have a chat, you wont loose anything by doing that
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Marvin - forgive me for not knowing what acrophobia was the name for a phenomenon I was aware of. Interestingly there is common ground between agoraphobia, acrophobia and vertigo, namely the vestibular system.

I think one of the probs we have in our society is still , to either see the mind and body as seperate, or to adopt a purely mechanistic view, when the truth is the mind (that is to say consciosness) is both a product and part of the body.

This can still be a real problem for the medical profession who on the basis of my observations, correspondingly either think pharamaceutical fascism will control people's behaviour or talking to some psychologist will solve their problems.

This, with all respect Darth, and I do thank you for your post, is why I would never approach a GP even IF I felt I had a problem that needed sorting.

When I first got clobbered by the vert I had to see the doc. Told her about the agoro she was of the opinion it was nowt and told me all about the patients she had who can't get out at all. Indeed.

However, typically, since cranking this post up, the vertigo seems to have reeceeded again.

Hope Softie's does the same.