Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: eating on an ultra

Re: eating on an ultra

I don't think you need any of that stuff, although some salt in some form's probably a good idea in hot weather (not that I've ever bothered). All I have to eat & drink is Kendal Mint Cake and water, to minimise stomach problems. It got me round the Haworth Hobble yesterday, & got me round the Joss Naylor Challenge last July.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

As others have said, experiment and see what works for you. I go for a bag of mixed nuts (including some salted), raisins and chocolate all mixed together. That, an electolyte drink and a few gels works for me. I found I couldn't digest bread on the run, so unfortunately sandwiches are out.
    Geoff Clarke

Super Moderator

There is a fair bit of discussion on this thread from around page 11 onwards
    Poacher turned game-keeper

maddaddy

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Nuun tablets are ace for fending off cramps! For the longer stuff I've done, which is limited, its been energy bars/flapjacks or similar. Trek bars from that well known highstreet health food chain...who's name aludes me. Also the gels etc. Some people do recommend eating fairly normal stuff, sarnies, bagels, crisps etc.
    Are Nuun tablets electrolytes? Do you have to put them in water or could you suck them?

PS thanks everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post
    Are Nuun tablets electrolytes? Do you have to put them in water or could you suck them
    yes, they are electrolyte tablets, no sugars. http://www.nuun.com/

You're meant to dissolve in 500ml of water, not sure about sucking them......suppose it depends how much saliva you can generate :-)

I wouldn't waste money on expensive bars. I usually eat jam sandwiches, peanut butter rolls, mini chedders and a selection of biscuits just whatever I've got in the house at the time. I do like High5 2:1 energy drink which is very gentle on the stomach and I do carry the odd gel for emergencies just in case I can't get anything else down me. I once had about 4 or 5 gels on the 3 Peaks and I got terrible stomach cramps so I stay clear of them if at all possible. It's all trial and error so just see what suits you.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Yes, I avoid gels if I can but they are a convenient way of getting carbs in fast. Yesterday, I experimented with Shotblocks and with Sports Beans. Either caused me difficulty in breathing but all food does (only when I'm running, not all the time!) (which is why I like liquids) but if I were to score them then Shotblocks won in terms of carbohydrates taken in for the amount of effort in eating them. Sports beans were nicer, though. I only did 20 miles so the experiment wasn't to see which sustained me (carbs in will sustain) but to see what I could tolerate. Going to look at the thread DT put up, now, though.

Anyone ever tried chocolate covered coffee beans?
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Anyone ever tried chocolate covered coffee beans?
    Somebody gave me some chocolate-coated beans at the last checkpoint in Robin Hood's Bay on the Frostbite 50 in January, and they did supply a bit of a 'lift' after we'd done 44 miles with just 6 to go. However, I think alternating gels with something solid, like flapjack for instance, accompanied by electrolyte (I use nuun or zero tablets - 1 to 500ml water) is more sustaining over a long distance. You have to be careful you don't eat too much solid stuff because your stomach can't digest it quickly enough and goes into spasm. I found this article quite useful:
    http://blogs.cybersym.com/ultrarunning-biochem.html
    ......yes, I know I'm a bit muddy

Nuun tablets are definitely not very nice to suck as one of my mates will confirm, you cannot disolve them in a mouthful of water either!!

They really are the business though, I usually make them at half strength i.e. 1 tab to 1l of water and that is a good solution to drink on an ultra, not too strong