Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: eating on an ultra

Re: eating on an ultra

I swear by Nakd & Trek bars. All very natural ingredients. Some of the bars only have 2 ingredients. Nuts & dried apricots etc. The Trek brownie bars are particularly tasty too. Available from Holland & Barrett. I, too, struggle with the gels.

I think everyone should try taking a nuun tablet with a mouthful of water, its such fun, especially to watch.

Imagine you were sitting on the sofa all day watching your favourite film trilogy.
    Imagine eating the same snack throughout
    do you think you'd be thoroughly sick of it after 8 hours ?

Quote Originally Posted by Erich K View Post
    Somebody gave me some chocolate-coated beans at the last checkpoint in Robin Hood's Bay on the Frostbite 50 in January, and they did supply a bit of a 'lift' after we'd done 44 miles with just 6 to go. However, I think alternating gels with something solid, like flapjack for instance, accompanied by electrolyte (I use nuun or zero tablets - 1 to 500ml water) is more sustaining over a long distance. You have to be careful you don't eat too much solid stuff because your stomach can't digest it quickly enough and goes into spasm. I found this article quite useful:
    http://blogs.cybersym.com/ultrarunning-biochem.html
    60g Carbohydrate oper hour - above that and you can't absorb it and that's when the cramps set in

I'm not doing ultras but my runs are getting longer...2hrs+ so even on short runs I'm practicing eating and drinking, experimenting with what works and what doesn't. think trying things is the only way to do it, we're all unique afterall!

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    I think everyone should try taking a nuun tablet with a mouthful of water, its such fun, especially to watch.

Imagine you were sitting on the sofa all day watching your favourite film trilogy.
    Imagine eating the same snack throughout
    do you think you'd be thoroughly sick of it after 8 hours ?
    a couple of years ago I gave one to a guy who was getting cramp on an ultra.

I saw him at the end and he said it did help his cramp but it was hard to swallow and it gave him alot of wind!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Anyone ever tried chocolate covered coffee beans?
    Yes, they're great but make sure you have a drink a available as they make me a bit thirsty

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Anyone ever tried chocolate covered coffee beans?
    I carry a small resealable sandwich bag in one of my hipbelt pockets with my own version of trailmix - chocolate coated coffee beans, Peanut M&Ms, yoghurt coated peanuts, roasted hazlenuts and cashew nuts (all unsalted), about even mixtures of all, so you never quite know what you're going to get in a handful.

Thanks for the replies on chocolate coated coffee beans, must give them a trial run.
    Hills and Guinness!

I'm also a massive fan of all flavours of the Nakd bars, other favourites on really long runs include .........Sport beans, SIS smart gels if I'm dead on my feet, high-5 Zero electrolyte tabs to stop cramps, mini-pretzels for carbs and salts,home-made flapjacks from an excellent book called 'Go Faster Food' by Kate Percy, chocolate covered coffee beans (as long as I've got access to a drink - they get a bit gritty).

I love Natural Britain's idea of a 'mixed bag' - might have to try that on next weekend's outing.

Super Moderator

I'm another fan of the 'mixed bag'. Mine would have jelly babies (ideally green ones), marshmallows, Squirms and mini-choc Easter eggs in though. The only 'technical sports nutrition products' I rate are Shock Bloks, excellent when you really don't fancy anything else :thumbup:
    Poacher turned game-keeper