Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: eating on an ultra

Re: eating on an ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Shock Bloks
    The electrical version of shot bloks? Do you have to shout 'clear' when you pop one in? Any battery life issues?

Sorry mate, couldn't resist. Love shock blots, taste a whole lot better than gels and seem to work. Mini pork and pickle pies and malt loaf have worked for me in the past.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    The electrical version of shot bloks? Do you have to shout 'clear' when you pop one in? Any battery life issues?

Sorry mate, couldn't resist. Love shock blots, taste a whole lot better than gels and seem to work. Mini pork and pickle pies and malt loaf have worked for me in the past.
    I could probably do with one of those shock bloks, it'd liven up the day at the very least
    pies

Think I'll try that mixed bag idea, I'm thinking chocolate coffee beans, mixed nuts, raisins, wine gums and tangfastics. Might keep the tangfastics separate though...

Having read Ben fogle's race to the pole book, I'd avoid mixing chocolate pieces in as they did that and it melted with pepperami:-/
    Last edited by PaulE; 14-03-2012 at 07:27 PM.

oooh yes - malt loaf, i'd forgotten about that - especially the banana one. What are squirms???

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    oooh yes - malt loaf, i'd forgotten about that - especially the banana one. What are squirms???
    Kids sweets, jellied worms, i'd never heard of them either till Derby Tup's BG.
    Hills and Guinness!

Sugar coated cola bottles and ... at the bottom of Ingleborough on the Y3P last year somebody was doling out some type of sour pastille. Did the trick.

will have to track em down and try them

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    will have to track em down and try them
    Squirm info here
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I still go back to my point that you don't really need to carry that much food on ultra's. Training for ultra's, long tough fell races (3P or Borrowdale) or self supported bob graham's may be but, if the HPM and the Fellsman are anything to go by, there is a shed load of food provided, both at the start and at the foodstops on the way.

In the High Peak Marathon my team mates, who I didn't know from Adam until I got there, were carrying huge backpacks and carrying a ton of stuff including food and bladders full of liquid and all sorts. My pack was a 10 litre jobbie whilst they all had what looked like 25 litre bags. Needless to say they were carrying far far too much stuff (and they were also not nearly fit enough for the event but that's another story). Two of them also had mixed nuun tablets with their water and found that a) it made them feel sick and b) was almost undrinkable because of that. So not only were they humping bladders full of liquid but they didn't want to drink it either. All the extra weight didn't exactly help with their lack of fitness either! Doh!

For the HPM my fodder comprised of a co-op cheese sandwich, 2 mini pork pies, some dried apricots, a few jelly babies and one bottle of poweraid. Oh and a snickers as my emergency food.
    Last edited by Stolly; 15-03-2012 at 10:04 AM.

I agree stolly on some events your well catered for but not all , some events are the oppisite, eg hardmoors , tdh etc but that's their appeal low key self supported. I've been caught out myself on events and carry what I need only food wise and top a water bottle up on way round. But also if ur racing at the top half your food will be less than someone plodding in back half and be maybe 6 or 8 hrs difference and they will need more calories. It all depends on what your there for a race , plod with a mate or training run. I use snack size mars , gels ,sarnies , jelly babies owt that will fit down my throat really. Cheese and crackers go down well on a long steady one for me