Thread: Metatarsal pain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Metatarsal pain

Having had to pull out of last year's Edale Skyline through injury, I am now having to contemplate the same frustrating scenario this year. On a recce of the Skyline a couple of weeks ago I felt some discomfort in my big toe area. I have been able to run pretty well since, until yesterday when out for a short sharp 4 miler I had to pull up after a mile unable to put my foot on the floor. The discomfort is in my big toe and joint behind it. It is really painful when putting weight on it and when squeezing my foot, but not when when I wiggle my toes or to the touch. With a week to go before Skyline does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

Re: Metatarsal pain

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Man View Post
    Having had to pull out of last year's Edale Skyline through injury, I am now having to contemplate the same frustrating scenario this year. On a recce of the Skyline a couple of weeks ago I felt some discomfort in my big toe area. I have been able to run pretty well since, until yesterday when out for a short sharp 4 miler I had to pull up after a mile unable to put my foot on the floor. The discomfort is in my big toe and joint behind it. It is really painful when putting weight on it and when squeezing my foot, but not when when I wiggle my toes or to the touch. With a week to go before Skyline does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?
    Any bruising or swelling? Could be a stress fracture if there is. Any family history of gout? I would suggesting seeing your doctor. It might be something transient that will sort itself out but if it's gout it would be worth getting your blood checked and some treatment started.

Re: Metatarsal pain

Thanks for this. No bruising or swelling or family history of gout. Am now resigned to not running on Sunday as no improvement in last couple of days. Really gutted to miss this one again, but probably best decision to avoid further injury and time off.