Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member: FRA, WFRA or both?

New Member: FRA, WFRA or both?

Hi,
    new here, long time runner, but off running, for about 18 months, following an ankle fracture, rock-climbing, and then surgery(capsule debridement and microfracture of talar dome OCD:sneaky 12 months later, not able to run for at least another few months. I dipped my toe into fell-running, after running the 1998 London Marathon, with a few solitary runs in the Brecon Beacons, (I am Cardiff-based)but never kept it up, partly due to work and family commitments. I am hoping to get running, again, in the near future hopefully in the hills, and was even thinking of joining a club, which I'd never of previously considered.

I was wondering, being in South Wales whether it was better to join the WFRA or the FRA, or if the former was affiliated to the latter? Or would I have to join both if I wanted to enjoy the benefits of both organisations,

Cheers,

Toby

Re: New Member: FRA, WFRA or b

I joined both when I was near Brecon - you can pick up some different things from the WFRA site whtat would not normally be seen. Plus you will get their news letter.

Its only a few quid at the end of the day and it supports the sport as a whole.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Hey up and welcome.

Its worth Joining the FRA even if it is just for the excellent, Fellrunner Magazine.

Thanks, guys, that's what I thought, will do.

WFRA first... if you can spare the cash then the FRA.... the FRA are for England according to themselves...

But the FRA have very little to do with Welsh Fell running unless you do the Brits or race in England more...

The FRA and WFRA aren't directly connected as far as I know... I think in Wales the Welsh Mountain Running Association is the sort of equivalent.. which is mainly a much smaller body, organising a championship but also mainly interested in contraversial dodgy international selections for Fest Goch... :-) ..

The FRA and EA/UKA are linked, whereas the WFRA and WA are not at all as I understand it...

TobyM, join and support the WFRA, a small and friendly association! There are plenty of good races in Wales to choose from. The only obvious benefit from joining the FRA is the magazine, as mentioned before. Everything else, such as results and fixtures, is available to all in the FRA website. Yiannis

Thanks for the info!, and for the Welcome

Hi Toby. Did you get out to any runs yet? As to your question, I think the FRA membership is fantastic value for the mag alone. Take that out for sure. As for races and things happening locally to you, the WFRA website gives you free access to most of what you need to know. Obviously, if you can stretch to another £10, we'd love to have you as a member as well and for that you get a very nicely produced calendar of Welsh races (not all of which appear in the FRA calendar) plus a newsletter. Alternatively, if you are keen on national selection you can join the WMRA which is part of Welsh Athletics/UKA. The reason why there is a seperate WFRA is an old and long story to do with devolution so lets not go into it. Suffice to say we seem to have a stable situation now with most fell races in Wales organised through the WFRA which has a rep on the FRA committee.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I have been thinking about joining WFRA. I only get to run in Wales a few times a year but I would like to support those who look after fell running in Wales

That is if they will allow an Englishman to join:wink:.

Ssshhhh! Don't tell anyone but I was born on the 'wrong' side of the dyke too!!
    Your sentiment about supporting those who look after fell running in Wales will be very well received by those who do a lot of unsung work.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth