Thread: Training for the Ben Nevis Hil

Training for the Ben Nevis Hil

Well after 3 years of trying I have a place in the Ben NevisHill race, I have run the Ben as part of the 3 peaks challenge but as it was a team event and I wasn’t the weakest team member I wasn’t on the ragged edge. Any specific advice for the race, footwear,training etc? I have been told the decent is the killer loading up the quads.:thunbdown:

ATB

Tahr

Re: Training for the Ben Nevis

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Well after 3 years of trying I have a place in the Ben NevisHill race, I have run the Ben as part of the 3 peaks challenge but as it was a team event and I wasn’t the weakest team member I wasn’t on the ragged edge. Any specific advice for the race, footwear,training etc? I have been told the decent is the killer loading up the quads.:thunbdown:

ATB

Tahr
    I've never done the race but have run up and down Ben Nevis a couple of times. All in all its a rubble fest and I'm not sure there is any training on earth that can help you particularly with that. Obviously running up and down the Ben would I guess be good training although sooner or later expect a sprained/battered/broken ankle or two

The first thing to consider is you don't go up the tourist path from Red Burn it's straight up and from the top it's pretty much straight down back to the burn. No zig zags. You'll need very grippy shoes mud claws or brand new x-talons or Walshes - I ran in worn out talons and paid the price on the long very very steep grassy descent back to Red Burn.

Training wise I'd do as many category A medium races you can and make sure you've got strong quads. Buttermere Sailbeck is a good race to do, but nothing can really prepare you for sea level to the highest point in Britain and back again!

Basically you've got about four miles of steep descending after climbing solidly for an hour and a half, the scree at the top is the easy part, the grass after that is the killer and the mile of rolling road back to the footy ground just about finishes you off!!! People's legs give out from under them when they hit flat ground and a fair few fall that way.

It's an amazing race I'm back for another go this year. I can't bleeding wait!!

Thanks for that advice Dan, Mudclaws are my go to fell shoe,I have Walshes but cana get on with them so only use them for flatish runs or when I know there is a fair bit of Tamac because I don’t mind wearing the studs off, I have a pair of Mudroc’s as well and Rocklite’s, I thought about using the Rocklites because they have a bit more cushioning but I find the heel a bit high so there is a bigger chance of turning a ankle. At the minute my training plan is to get in as many Hill races as I can, perhaps a trip to Skindor and a recc’y of the Ben in the summer.

ATB

Tahr