Thread: Running with Gout

Running with Gout

I was wondering if any other forum users suffer from Gout ?

I've had it off and on for around a year now, and i've been keeping it under control by diet - cutting down on alcohol and red meat mostly, but i still get the odd attack.

Could anyone tell me how soon after an attack has subsided they consider it safe to commence training/running again

Re: Running with Gout

it's purely a question of how much it hurts - if the pain has gone then get moving, movement is good for it.
    If you keep getting it then you might have to consider regular medication to reduce uric acid levels.
    I used to get it only every once in a while, aggravated by hallux valgus (or vice versa), but that was enough.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 10-05-2012 at 11:28 AM.

I had Gout for 6 years mis-diagnosed as Rheumatoid Arthritis in my ankles, flared up every 3-4 months, Doctor stop me from running so I would not aggravate it. New doctor diagnosed gout and put me on Allopurinol. That was 3 years ago and not had an attack (of any significance) since. For mild attacks as ZHR says, as soon as the pain goes your good to go.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    I was wondering if any other forum users suffer from Gout ?

I've had it off and on for around a year now, and i've been keeping it under control by diet - cutting down on alcohol and red meat mostly, but i still get the odd attack.

Could anyone tell me how soon after an attack has subsided they consider it safe to commence training/running again
    As willycopter says allopurinol is very useful at preventing acute gout. Allopurinol is in general very well tolerated, the only common side effect being a rash - it affects 1-3% of people; occasionally the rash is nasty and it can even be fatal. If allopurinol is started during an acute attack it can prolong it. Keep well hydrated, and avoid low dose aspirin as it can make gout worse by decreasing renal excretion. Hopefully with dietary measures/good hydration you will be able to keep attacks at bay.

As to when you can run it would make sense to wait until the joint is back to normal before stressing it.

I chatted to an expert on gout. He reckoned hops were bad for it, so tried to get his patients to switch to wine from beer. Cherry juice is supposed to be good for it.

Good luck with it.