Thread: how far....

how far....

.......are u11's allowed to race? I was at a county xc finals today with my nephew, he had won his qualifing race over 2k ( needed every metre of it to get going ) but turned up to run today and the race was 1400metres and was totally flat, a very poor course, which suited those with lots of raw speed. My nephew ran ok but was very dissap as he finished outside the top 5 or 6, he was outpaced from the word go and never got into the race.
    I asked the bloke who organised it about the course and he said u11s are only allowed to race upto 1500metres!!! Now I dont think this is correct but I dont know for sure, does anyone?

Re: how far....

WP will know.

U11s (age as at 31st Aug 2011 for this season just ending) are allowed to run in specific U11s XC races that are often attached to league races as part of the programme and some county associations have started U11s champs - such as here in Lancs.

The problem is there aren't any UKA Rules that apply to U11s - UKA in effect will allow it and the permit covers the insurance and they just ask for some common sense. Most races take place over 1.6km - 2.0km and the routes tend to avoid any of the more difficult terrain that an older age group may be asked to take on, such as proper climbs, and stream crossings.

If an U11 turns 11 during the season, they are allowed to move up and run as an U13 - we have sometimes had U11s even been good enough to run for the County as U13s.

So it's really down to the RO. A 1.4km course is at the bottom end of what you usually get but it's perfectly reasonable and perhaps with the constraints of lap length and course markings, marshalling etc that was all they could manage.
    eg if that is 1 lap, maybe a part lap was logistically difficult and 2 laps is too far.
    Courses tend to be designed around older athletes and usually seniors so the younger age groups have race lengths that are the best possible without making the course unnatural or contrived.

thanks for that, interesting to know

The long established race series such as Bofra and KWL plus local shows do have younger age categories with prize winners. The courses are well proven for the age groups; on fell height gained is as important as distance, not a concept that UKA would understand.

However as a coach we always emphasise speed rather than endurance with under 11s. There is good science behind this approach.