Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Units

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

GPS Units

I've been sceptical of GPS units for years but recently have had a couple of occasions where one would have been quite useful. Have a bit of cash coming my way in a couple of weeks and thought one would make a useful aquisition.

So far I've narrowed my search down to the following:

Satmap Active 10
    Garmin GPS Map 62s
    Garmin eTrex 30

My preference would be for the Satmap but I find the price of the maps off-putting. I'm sure I'll need quite a few 1-25000 but a £40+ each that's soon going to mount up.

Any advice on these models (or recommendations for others) would be greatly appreciated.

Re: GPS Units

Don't know about the other two but I bought an etrex 30 a couple of months ago. Can't say I that impressed with it. Although it's improving with updates the firmware is still buggy. It still freezes occasionally and requires the removal of batteries to get it to work again. It's main failing is that it is a mapping gps but scrolling through the map is slow to the point that I end up shouting at it (normally reserved only for computers). The compass works but needs recalibrating almost every time that it's switched on. There are other annoying features like the saved track list not being in any sensible order so it is difficult to locate a track. On the plus side the batteries last for ages, the satellite acquisition is fast and the satellite lock is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by overthecrowroad View Post
    Don't know about the other two but I bought an etrex 30 a couple of months ago. Can't say I that impressed with it. Although it's improving with updates the firmware is still buggy. It still freezes occasionally and requires the removal of batteries to get it to work again. It's main failing is that it is a mapping gps but scrolling through the map is slow to the point that I end up shouting at it (normally reserved only for computers). The compass works but needs recalibrating almost every time that it's switched on. There are other annoying features like the saved track list not being in any sensible order so it is difficult to locate a track. On the plus side the batteries last for ages, the satellite acquisition is fast and the satellite lock is excellent.
    Not sounding that great then! Thanks for the advice anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Not sounding that great then! Thanks for the advice anyway.
    I've got an eTrex 30 as well. Have to say that I haven't experienced it freezing yet, but there's time. I concur that scrolling through can be slow and the screen is slow to update, but once underway the refresh rate is just fine and I like it. There's not many GPS units out there as small as this one with the specification .... also concur that acquisition is very fast and it's never (yet) lost lock. There are probably plenty of annoying features such as the track list not being in order (I'd noticed that one too) but I haven't found them yet .... I'd say the eTrex 30 is still worth a punt.

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I've got an eTrex 30 as well. Have to say that I haven't experienced it freezing yet, but there's time. I concur that scrolling through can be slow and the screen is slow to update, but once underway the refresh rate is just fine and I like it. There's not many GPS units out there as small as this one with the specification .... also concur that acquisition is very fast and it's never (yet) lost lock. There are probably plenty of annoying features such as the track list not being in order (I'd noticed that one too) but I haven't found them yet .... I'd say the eTrex 30 is still worth a punt.

Martyn
    p.s. I forgot to mention - mapping costs 20 quid per 600 sq/km. Not exactly cheap, you have to be careful how you buy it ....
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Cheers Martyn,
    Had a google around last night and there were a few other reviewers reporting similar issues as first posted even after various firmware updates. Perhaps you just got lucky!
    There are quite a few positive review for the GPS Map 62 though..... going to have a look at one after work tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    p.s. I forgot to mention - mapping costs 20 quid per 600 sq/km. Not exactly cheap, you have to be careful how you buy it ....
    I'll bare that in mind though I think this still compares quite favourably to Satmap.
    I was on Cannock Chase on Sunday morning trying to find all of the trig points which sort of prompted this post. A quick bing map suggests 100sq/km would have covered that. Do you need to use all 600 in one shot or can you pick and choose different areas?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Cheers Martyn,
    Had a google around last night and there were a few other reviewers reporting similar issues as first posted even after various firmware updates. Perhaps you just got lucky!
    There are quite a few positive review for the GPS Map 62 though..... going to have a look at one after work tonight.

I'll bare that in mind though I think this still compares quite favourably to Satmap.
    I was on Cannock Chase on Sunday morning trying to find all of the trig points which sort of prompted this post. A quick bing map suggests 100sq/km would have covered that. Do you need to use all 600 in one shot or can you pick and choose different areas?
    No, you don't have to use all 600km2 in one go, you can divide it up how you wish. You do this using the Garmin BaseCamp software, but care is needed ... the first time I did this I was being a bit "economical" (you get a free 20 quid voucher with the unit) and definied certain small areas, the idea being to cover all of my particular areas of interest in the Lakes. It works, but gets a bit messy and you need to be sure the boxes overlap or you can actually see the join lines once you're zoomed in to a high resolution! I basically wasted my freebie voucher doing this and so purchased another 600km2 and defined two seperate (big) areas - it works better.

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

The alternative is to buy the Discoverer map on an SD card. They are expensive but frequently come up second hand on ebay fairly cheap.

Had a look at both the SatMap and GPSMAP62S last night.
    Both units come with full GB OS 1:50000 and to my thinking that would be sufficient for 99% of the scenarios I could imagine using it in.
    So, although the Garmin seems to have the advantage in that I could load custom maps or by smaller areas of 1:25000 at a lower price, I'm not sure I'm going to need them. At the end of the day, I'm always going to have a paper map and compass with me anyway.
    Of the 2, I think I prefer the Satmap - the resolution of the display is better and I found it easier to use. My only reservation is on build quality - the Garmin seemed far more robust.
    Anybody, got a SatMap and can comment?

Incidentally, the retailer confirmed they had quite a few eTrex 30s returned as faulty and so were not currently stocking them.

I've got a Satmap, and love it. Use it for hillwalking rather than fell running though. Not had any problems with robustness, although haven't used the Garmin so can't compare.

What I like best about the Satmap are the large screen, big chunky buttons that are easy to use with big gloves on, and ease of use.

I had a previous Garmin model and I could never work out how to do what I wanted, far too many sub-menus etc to learn. The satmap is like an iPhone, you pick it up, and you can use it without thinking.

Amazon got offer on with free 1:50k mapping of whole UK, ie unit plus mapping for just £295, saving 50% on RRP http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0049A2S7...SIN=B0049A2S70