Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapering

Tapering

There was a tapering thread a while back but thought it'd be timely to start another.

I'm planning on a 4 week taper as this fits around a 3 week trip to France. I'm a little unsure what I should be doing.

To kick off the following link has a 5 week taper
    www.brianmac.co.uk/bgr/index.htm

Any thoughts? Any one care to give outline details of their plans?

Simon

Re: Tapering

Just my own thoughts, and I'm definately no expert on tapering for BG/Ultra events. But five weeks seems over long, and that whole training scheme seems, potentially a bit over the top and not very specific on terrain etc for its long stuff, or the weight training routines. My feeling from other things I've done would be that a good three week taper would be sufficient. Particularly if the last two weeks were very rested. I'd tend to keep running, but knock off the hill work and leg work. Maybe just a bit of light cycling if thats you're thing. As I say, I'm no expert, just my gut feelings. This from someone who thinks he may have got his own BG training a bit wrong for this year!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

If I tapered for 5 weeks I'd lose so much fitness I'd fail. I would be looking to doing something tough and long 2 weeks beforehand but perhaps not at full throttle and taper after that.

I did all my BG training in March and April last year then had 2 weeks where I just ran very slowly on the flat and walked the dog several times a week just to keep my legs ticking over, I did my BG in mid May and it all seemed to work ok for me. I suppose if you've got all the big climbs in your legs then your trip to France should include some fairly long, steady runs, gradually tapering off to 2 week before where you do very little. I was still doing well over 10,000ft of climbing up until the end of April. Like Nigel says, I think I would have worried about losing fitness had I tapered so soon. All the best.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Thanks for the replies so far.
    Of course the replies are not just for me.
    I'm sure there are many BGers out there equally unsure so keep posting please.:thumbup:

Three weeks was fine for me. Last big day out was the Welsh 3000s, after that no long runs but some short hill sessions to keep my legs sharp, and 2-3 hour bike rides at a brisk pace for threshold work...with a very gentle final week, obviously. General idea being to keep the "top end" fitness topped up but cutting right back on training volume and impact.

Four weeks should be okay if you have plenty of big days already in the bank but I'd be looking to get a decent amount of good quality work - including some hills and quick descending - up until the last week or so.

Simon, I know we chatted about this today but I think five weeks is just too long and I also think that I'd lose fitness. My plan is to do a back-to-back support three weeks before my own attempt (with maybe the run in from Newlands thrown in) and then taper down from that point. I'll do a long run the following weekend but try and keep it sensible, then the last two weeks will be all about rest, some deep massage and getting myself in to the most relaxed and flexible state I can. I want to be standing outside the Moot Hall really looking forward to it, because with three weeks away from it I will be missing the fells. That's the plan anyhow
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Hi Simon I would go for the last long work out at 3 weeks out - no more than 30 miles or 6-8 hrs on your feet depending on the terrain. Your legs should be in great condition by then so should recover within a few days. 2 weeks out I would drop the weekly mileage to about 25 miles with up to 80 mins max in 1 go and then virtually nothing the last 10 days - 4 miles max in 1 go just to get the legs ticking over. Saying that I paced leg 1 for some-one 7 days before my attempt and at 3 and a half hours it was a wee bit quick. I made sure I ate like a horse from 7 days out and went up the day before the attempt and enjoyed a great lazy day in Keswick with a couple of kips for a 2am start. I think you get to the point in the BG training of over analysing everything including the taper. You should have done all your hard work in your training so listen to your body too - if you feel tired rest, if not follow what your head is telling you or some of the info people have mailed you. It all makes sense. Good luck.

Super Moderator

Train hard until two weeks before then do very little until you go. Yes you're fit and strong after training but you'll be more tired than you realise. You won't lose any fitness in a fortnight and will be buzzing to get moving :w00t:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks everybody. I'm getting a clearer picture in my mind now.
    But.....
    for the sake of other readers keep comments coming if you can.
    Thanks
    Simon