Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapering

Re: Tapering

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Stagger View Post
    I did all my BG training in March and April last year then had 2 weeks where I just ran very slowly on the flat and walked the dog several times a week just to keep my legs ticking over, I did my BG in mid May and it all seemed to work ok for me. I suppose if you've got all the big climbs in your legs then your trip to France should include some fairly long, steady runs, gradually tapering off to 2 week before where you do very little. I was still doing well over 10,000ft of climbing up until the end of April. Like Nigel says, I think I would have worried about losing fitness had I tapered so soon. All the best.
    I was supporting someone else on the day of your round Linda (think it was DT) and every time I saw you, you were smiling...

You had obviously done something right!

I am planning a steady taper for the final three weeks but stick to 10,000' a week upto then.

Everyone has different needs but a taper of much more than that would worry me..

Good luck to all...
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    I was supporting someone else on the day of your round Linda (think it was DT) and every time I saw you, you were smiling...

You had obviously done something right!

I am planning a steady taper for the final three weeks but stick to 10,000' a week upto then.

Everyone has different needs but a taper of much more than that would worry me..

Good luck to all...
    Thank you Lantern Rouge, I was very happy! I only have two speeds which are stop and go so I could only run it at that pace and if that hadn't have been quick enough then I would never have achieved it. It's really hard with something like this as you wonder if you've done enough and unfortunately you don't really know the answer to that question until the actual day. I'm down to help with at least 3 BG's so far this year and I can't wait.

Also if you do nothing in the last week then you're really chomping at the bit to get going but just remember not to storm up Skiddaw otherwise you might regret it later.
    Last edited by LM; 26-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Nothing to do with tapering, but 1 of the best impromptu moments on my round was 1 of my pacers disappearing to the camp shop at Wasdale (just behind the NT car park) and returning with ice lollies for the pull up Yewbarrow. Couldn't beat this for re-energising the soul and it made the pull out of Wasdale almost enjoyable....

Thought it was worth chucking in to the pot - if it takes off maybe I'll take shares in the shop.

Good luck all - I'm envious....

Yes Ken has mentioned a few times now Linda how relaxed you were on your round :thumbup:

I am having my last big day out in the Lakes 3 weeks before my own attempt and then from there its kind of keep it steady for a week, then taper for two weeks.
    Obviously I am open to advice as well and will read all of the posts already on this thread, but as a Fitness Instructor/Manager I think a 5 week taper is too long (I am not experienced in ultra's mind).

Quote Originally Posted by ashstroller View Post
    Yes Ken has mentioned a few times now Linda how relaxed you were on your round :thumbup:

She was smiling all the way! Made we wonder whether everybody else was just making up how hard it was!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    She was smiling all the way! Made we wonder whether everybody else was just making up how hard it was!!
    She was, i reckon it's true, women are tougher than blerks, just smile and get on with it, i like to moan like a ghost when doing doing summatt hard, like getting out of bed:wink:
    Hills and Guinness!

Heck... I haven't being training for this smiling business. I've developed a pretty good grimace over the last month or two though.

My taper will be a last big run (8-10 hours) 18 days before, a steady 4-6 hours with a good bit of climb (1500-2000m) 11 days before and that's about it. Probably a very short, slow run from home for half an hour or so a couple of days beforehand just to reassure myself my legs still work. 4 weeks tomorrow for me now. Tick tock...
    Geoff Clarke

Geoff, you will be fine mate. I like your taper formula, remember to throw a good leg massage into the mix ...... make sure those ITBs are nice and loose

BTW I called into the shop on Sunday to swap stories with you, it appears I picked one of your rare days off! Hope you were doing something good ......

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Heck... I haven't being training for this smiling business. I've developed a pretty good grimace over the last month or two though.

My taper will be a last big run (8-10 hours) 18 days before, a steady 4-6 hours with a good bit of climb (1500-2000m) 11 days before and that's about it. Probably a very short, slow run from home for half an hour or so a couple of days beforehand just to reassure myself my legs still work. 4 weeks tomorrow for me now. Tick tock...
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Geoff, you will be fine mate. I like your taper formula, remember to throw a good leg massage into the mix ...... make sure those ITBs are nice and loose

BTW I called into the shop on Sunday to swap stories with you, it appears I picked one of your rare days off! Hope you were doing something good ......
    I wish. Stuck in traffic around Leeds for what felt like most of the day. Thanks for the positive words. I'm certainly confident I've got the taper cracked... just the small matter of round itself after that.
    Geoff Clarke

You've done an incredible amount of training Hank - you'll be fine, in fact I'm seriously worried about keeping up with you on leg 4! The move to Kendal was definitely a good move, you're very lucky. Smiling at all times is very important so try and incorporate it into your training!
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners