Thread: Suunto Vector advice

Suunto Vector advice

Hello,
    I've just got a Vector which seems to do everything I expected it to but...I 'm not sure how to find out how much I have ascended/descende in any given session. I can get my current altitiude but not sure how to get the acumulated total of a run. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Neil

Re: Suunto Vector advice

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Hello,
    I've just got a Vector which seems to do everything I expected it to but...I 'm not sure how to find out how much I have ascended/descende in any given session. I can get my current altitiude but not sure how to get the acumulated total of a run. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Neil
    All the manuals are on line so you can try there. On my Core there are 2 ways of recording time, normal stop watch and logged run, if I use logged run it records ascent/descent and it can be pulled up afterwards. Are you sure your vector records ascent/descent rather than it just having an altimeter?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I calibrated my Elementum Terra at Pendle Trig on Sunday. Do you find that this needs doing on a regular basis? It does seem to fluctuate a bit. How accurate are they?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

I have a Core but when I bought it I looked at the Vector and I'm sure it has a log book which will record your total ascent/ descent. Check out "log books" in the manual.

Southernsoftie, I presume the elementum terra is similar to the core. So, it will be accurate as long as it is calibrated correctly for your current location. Both altimeter and barometer are measuring air pressure so any change in one of these will affect the other.
    I know exactly how high my house is (from OS map/GPS) and just recalibrate each time I get home from a day out in the hills so the barometer is then always accurate as long as it stays put. Likewise, I check starting altitude before I set out for a run against OS map/GPS and recalibrate if necessary.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Fair enough, long as I know. Best get a couple of benchmark elevations sorted! Cheers Pete
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Yes the vector does have a log book what u can record and veiw your asc/desc its been a while since I've used the log bk though but it is the manual nelly. Got me thinking now I'll have to have a read myself.

I've got one - It sounds more complicated than it is but before you start running switch it to altitude mode then press the start log book button (bottom right) - it should beep and an icon will flash to show its recording. At the end of your run do the same again and this will stop it recording. Then from the altitude mode scroll back (top left button) until you get log book and a log number will appear - leave it for a few seconds and it will give you total ascent (with average ascent per minute then total descent with average descent per minute). If you want to see different logs use the plus/minus buttons to scroll backwards and forwards through them.
    If you scroll back one push further than logbook you get history mode which gives you your total accumulated ascent since you last reset it with your highest altitude and date/time you achieved it.
    In practice I like knowing the ascent involved in training runs but the really interesting bit is your average ascent/descent rates and they make good targets to try and beat but you cant access them until after the run, nor can you access total ascent during a logbook session, just current altitude (and all the other functions as usual as well such as the watch, barometer and compass). For what its worth it told me that I went up Craghill in one of our local races at 16 metres a minute and came down at 41! - but a more usual average for me is about 11m up and 20 or so down. Its worth bearing in mind as well that if you reset your altimeter at known points during a route this will affect the overall recorded ascent/descent readings.

Thanks Mark thats really useful. Just what I was looking for. I was wondering what all the numbers meant. I did look at the manual but I am a bit of a luddite.I got the watch last week and have found the compass pretty useful. Not sure about the barometer though. I'm going out around the Cuillin tomorrow so will give it a bash.
    Neil

Dont rely on the compass too much but its a handy backup - the barometer is useful for weather (what its intended for I suppose!) - lying in your tent listening to the wind and rain you can at least get an idea of which way the weather is heading. The history function is particularly handy for this, as well as the trend lines on the main watch face, just dont forget that any ascent/descent you do will affect these readings - best checked in the morning if you have been stationary at one point overnight, or at least at the same altitude all day.