Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bassenthwaite / running.

Bassenthwaite / running.

Im off for a break at Armathwaite Hall near Lake Bassenthwaite and im "allowed" to make the most of it and go for a run while the other half is being pampered, can anyone suggest any routes nearby, either within running distance from the hotel or a short drive away ?

Thanks
    Murph
    Good going down !!

Re: Bassenthwaite / running.

The Coledale round from Braithwaite is very pleasant, and not too far to drive. You can keep adding/ taking away peaks to make it up to the distance you want (or are allowed...)

I'd second the Coledale round as first choice. Also Anniversary Waltz route not far. Loads of choice round there.

If you don't want to get in the car at all - Ullock Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I like the sound of that, can you give me directions ?
    Murph
    Good going down !!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I'll second that. Start at the Ravenstone Hotel on the main road to Keswick from Bassenthwaite.
    You can continue over Long Side, Carl Side and up on to Skiddaw if you like. Return down through Dodd wood or up and over Skiddaw and down the NW ridge. If you have time for a longer run, carry on over Skiddaw and down via Bakestall to the Skiddaw house road.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

and anything starting in the Braithwaite/Stair/Newlands area is all very runnable with some nice long ridges.Just park up somewhere and head off where it looks good.
    Enjoy!

I got married at Armathwaite Hall, but still found time to fit some running in!
    Coledale horseshoe and Skiddaw via Ullock Pike are both grand days out, but if you find yourself pushed for time I found plenty of shorter routes to do from Wythop Mill (10mins drive) over and around Sale Fell, Ling Fell, Kirk Fell, Graystones, Lords Seat, Broom Fell and Barf.
    Not in the same league as the other two but very pleasant, off the beaten track and worth discovering if you have an hour or so to fill.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    I got married at Armathwaite Hall, but still found time to fit some running in!Coledale horseshoe and Skiddaw via Ullock Pike are both grand days out, but if you find yourself pushed for time I found plenty of shorter routes to do from Wythop Mill (10mins drive) over and around Sale Fell, Ling Fell, Kirk Fell, Graystones, Lords Seat, Broom Fell and Barf. Not in the same league as the other two but very pleasant, off the beaten track and worth discovering if you have an hour or so to fill.
    Good suggestions!I got married there as well!You'll now have the luxury of a soak in the spa to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I'll second that. Start at the Ravenstone Hotel on the main road to Keswick from Bassenthwaite.
    You can continue over Long Side, Carl Side and up on to Skiddaw if you like. Return down through Dodd wood or up and over Skiddaw and down the NW ridge. If you have time for a longer run, carry on over Skiddaw and down via Bakestall to the Skiddaw house road.
    yeah this just about covers it