Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid things people have said

Re: Stupid things people have

40 for me too, and started cycle racing aged 45... I think I may be suffering from a phenomenon called midlife crisis and am loving it! Never been fitter in my life
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

My pal told me he'd been stretching at the car when a passer by said pushing with the handbrake on won't get you anywhere!

Was going to list a few things that have been said... then realised I probably thought about saying the same things before I crossed over to the 'other side'.

I suppose loads of us have had the usually crass comments shouted at us from car passenger side windows usually when the car is full of young lads. They usually more resemble monkey (that reflects the average IO within said vehicle) noises than actual speech so I cannot put down what was actually said!

I think the best thing to do is to try and avoid talking about your running to most people then you don't get the stupid replys / statements .On several occasions i have explained Fell Running to people,all about elevation and distance only for that person to ask you a month or so later t "are you still doing them Triathlon things !! " I find that most people arent really interested in what you are doing,they just want to talk about themselves or what they are doing.I was guilty of this myself in the past so now i try to listen to what people have to say,let them finish what they have to say and reply the best i can and show interest. Nothing worse than not letting people finish a sentance and cut them off,bad manners,ive done it,its bad.Had to have a good look at myself and don,t do it now,well ,unless they,re complete tw..s or they are pissed and talking b......s

Hills and Guinness!

Steve that was absolutey hilarious and totally surrreal! hes ...thanks for the positive feedback! :-) x
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

Quote Originally Posted by freckle View Post
    Steve that was absolutey hilarious and totally surrreal! hes ...thanks for the positive feedback! :-) x
    It matters little what others say, always amazes me that other people think you should do exactly what they do, i wouldn't preach to anyone to follow my lifestyle, each to their own, everyone's got their own loves and pursuits. Enjoy your life and have tolerance and respect for others. Keep going freckle

PS. Anyone who doesn't like fellrunning, Dogs, Guinness and Fish and Chips is Pondlife
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Anyone who doesn't like fellrunning, Dogs, Guinness and Fish and Chips is Pondlife
    Amen.
    Do what you like, like what you do

I think maybe comments fall into 3 groups,
    Those from people at admire you and there comments are well meaning even if they come across as a bit off.
    Those from people that don’t understand running or generally any exercise, they just don’t get it, comments like” why run when you have a perfectly good working car?” and really mean it.
    The third group are from people that know they should do some exercise for their wellbeing, even people that used to run but rather than doing the hard work themselves find it easier to try and pull you down to their level. I have some family members and one or two “friends” that fall into this category, and these are the most irritating to me.

This is quite a sad tale.
    One of the chaps that worked in my office was a nice chap but quite opinionated, he would at lunch time give me a hard time about my “health lunch” while he would be tucking into take ways from the high street every day,“I’ve seen more fat on a whippet” was one of his remarks,” what you need is toget some proper food down your neck instead of that rabbit food” etc etc, he died two years ago from bowel cancer before he even made retirement age.:angry:

While we all have our own reasons for running when you get to a certain age and have spent enough time at the side of hospital beds and grave sides, it is hard to not think of the health benefits that exercise bring even if you would run just for the love of it without them.

I had to change doctors the other year, this meant a “healthcheck-up” I was weighed and my height measured, the doc’ said I was borderline over weight on the BMI scale, now I had a body fat of around 16 percent room for improvement yes but over weight??? (Whydo doc’s use BMI it is known to be inaccurate.)

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Tahr; 03-04-2012 at 11:52 PM.