Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Stupid things people have said

Re: Stupid things people have

I told someone at work that i went Ghyll Scrambling the other weekend. He didn't really understand why i was doing it much like my fell running, if he could have attempted to ascend the faces of dried up waterfalls himself and absorbed the challenge personally, then it would probably have made sense. Some people at work think i'm mad because i know the names of most of the muscles in the legs, and because i can 'mysteriously' predict the weather by monitoring the atmospheric pressure on the computer screens; and nobody can get their head around the idea that i don't want an i phone, and don't rely on sat nav for navigation of the public roads.

A lot of the time i hear the use of the word 'normal', for example: "There's nothing normal about you, is there?"
    Last edited by mr brightside; 04-04-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I don't think that the majority of comments we receive are nasty. There's just either an innocent ignorance, or it falls under the heading of 'banter'. People at work take the mick out of me for my 'obsessive' running/training/diet; I take the mick back about their obsession with football, or the fact that they're a fat knacker, an old lech...

Can't say there's too much to get worked up about really. Those that take the piss whilst continuing an unhealthy/dangerous lifestyle, well, each to their own. They might die before me from natural causes, but then again, running won't make me impervious to all fatal illnesses, nor will it prevent me from getting hit by a bus (it's always a bus, isn't it?). Fact is, it's what I choose to do while I'm on this earth, and have working legs.

It's a bit of notoriety, but as a result have quite a bit of profile across the company. For those that are into that sort of thing - I'm increasingly disillusioned with climbing the greasy corporate pole, so not so much me any more - this can be quite a help in 'getting on'.

In their more candid moments, many admit they admire, respect or are in awe of what I consider to be a nice gentle run or set myself as challenges. In fact, I've been able to inspire a couple of my colleagues: one's about to run the Edinburgh marathon, the other has lost 4st since last year, and let's me put him through early morning circuit training and has started to drink the same 'slop' (i.e. breakfast porridge smoothie) as me.

So: take it with a pinch of salt, give a bit back, and where possible, use it as a positive influence.

Don't let the bastards grind you down!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    , and don't rely on sat nav for navigation of the public roads.
    OMG don't get me started - those things are my pet hate.
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    I don't think that the majority of comments we receive are nasty. There's just either an innocent ignorance, or it falls under the heading of 'banter'. People at work take the mick out of me for my 'obsessive' running/training/diet; I take the mick back about their obsession with football, or the fact that they're a fat knacker, an old lech...

Can't say there's too much to get worked up about really. Those that take the piss whilst continuing an unhealthy/dangerous lifestyle, well, each to their own. They might die before me from natural causes, but then again, running won't make me impervious to all fatal illnesses, nor will it prevent me from getting hit by a bus (it's always a bus, isn't it?). Fact is, it's what I choose to do while I'm on this earth, and have working legs.

It's a bit of notoriety, but as a result have quite a bit of profile across the company. For those that are into that sort of thing - I'm increasingly disillusioned with climbing the greasy corporate pole, so not so much me any more - this can be quite a help in 'getting on'.

In their more candid moments, many admit they admire, respect or are in awe of what I consider to be a nice gentle run or set myself as challenges. In fact, I've been able to inspire a couple of my colleagues: one's about to run the Edinburgh marathon, the other has lost 4st since last year, and let's me put him through early morning circuit training and has started to drink the same 'slop' (i.e. breakfast porridge smoothie) as me.

So: take it with a pinch of salt, give a bit back, and where possible, use it as a positive influence.

Don't let the bastards grind you down!
    Good post SS +1

ATB

Tahr

To be fair some comments are probably well deserved. I was running off of Ingleborough on Saturday, stumbling down through the rubble and crap near the top, having done something like 25 miles of a 28 miler around the 3 peaks when this really jovial lady walker said "be honest, do you really enjoy running".

I suspect that I may have had mix of my high concentration 'monkey face' and 'my god I'm fooked face' on and not surprisingly she will have jumped to the conclusion that I couldn't possibly have been enjoying myself

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    enjoying myself
    I have asked myself that many times in the later stages of a long run

Must admit, I can never remember having received a single arsey or stupid or ignorant comment from anyone in well over ten years of running.
    Maybe southerners are more accepting of people with different outlooks and habits than northerners?
    Maybe the substantially lower obesity rate down south means there's less envy and resentment around?
    Or maybe some people just invite confrontation?
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 04-04-2012 at 12:54 PM.

A couple at the Trig point on Man Tor looked at us with distain as we ran up, round the trig point and started to run back towards Hollings Cross "Arn't you even going to stop and look at the beautiful view!!!". My partner replied "we live in the view mate. Lucky buggers ain't we?". I think it's safe to say that very few people that don't fell run actually get those that do :-). Although I'd be upset if everyone started doing it :-)PS I really do enjoy it :-)

City will win the league by a nice margin - moi

Stupid things?

'Come on - keep going'