Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UKA fell running qualification

Re: UKA fell running qualifica

Eh? That's not proving..

And isn't that exactly what I said.. keeping getting experience..but that is not a requirement. You are still an ML as long as you have FA.. but obviously if something went wrong you'd be under scrutiny at why you weren't current..

PYB the centre of all that is wrong with the ML syllabus... unfortunately the MLTB sit too close to PYB hence why they have the monopoly..
    Last edited by IainR; 03-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.

I don't think we're too far away from the same opinion. As with many things part of the answer is that "it depends". the law isn't clear, it depends if you need a license and so on. Ultimately you can do it with no qualifications informally. If the coach in question is taking people out on the tops year round it doesn't sound too good. If he's in a low lying field, well: it depends.

Ont interesting point is that the ML used to be a certificate; you passed it and had it forever. I guess about 25 years ago they changed it to an assessment that might it was dependent on continued experience.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc View Post
    Is the ML qualification a requirmentfor AALA covered activities? So not strictly called for when working with adults, though that might be seen as good practice.
    Hasn't AALA gone? I know it was one of the bodies listed to be abolished this year... I don't work with kids so don't follow it ..

The ML is strangely abused though.. I was signed off as competent to lead groups coasteering.. which I think is crazy - how is the ML suitable.. but as I had an ML and could swim I was deemed competent and signed off by an AALA approved provider... coasteering and gorge running are two areas which will need to be tightened up as deaths mount..

Quote Originally Posted by Tubber View Post
    I don't think we're too far away from the same opinion. As with many things part of the answer is that "it depends". the law isn't clear, it depends if you need a license and so on. Ultimately you can do it with no qualifications informally. If the coach in question is taking people out on the tops year round it doesn't sound too good. If he's in a low lying field, well: it depends.
    I think its fine if they advertise themselves as unqualified but experienced.. just listing the coaching quals as an OR to an MLT qualification seems misleading to me, and was my concern back when I first commented on these awards last year..

No I don't think we are either.. its good the law isn't too tight in many ways...

We should have it that an experienced runner can 'lead' club runners.. I just think we'll see more and more stipulations from UKA et al that club runners are 'qualified' to lead such runs yet these 'qualifications' won't be worth the paper they are written on.. and will actually end up with more issues.

But there is nothing wrong with experienced people guiding or leading groups.. if anything by bringing in courses, with a poorly defined remit, you increase the risk of inexperienced people leading people out..