Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joss Naylor Challenge May 5th

Joss Naylor Challenge May 5th

Two Matlock AC runners are aiming for a sub 12 hour JNC. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Joss Naylor Challenge May

Recce'd Dunmail to Great End in just about the schedule yesterday then finished via Green Gable - Grey Knotts to Honister and then today did the Kirkstone to Dunmail section. We were near schedule again despite stops to route find and decide if there were better lines etc - schedule seems tough though especially because we're now 53 and 54 respectively (sadly I am the older). Any offers of help on a 11:40 hour schedule starting at 7:00 AM Pooley Bridge (of course) for any section willingly accepted. Day might depend on weather forecast and offers of help - as it is a bank holiday weekend could potentially use either Saturday or Sunday.

An injury issue has left the pacer situation very thin!!! Given the good weather and the dry ground, it'll be a good day to help out if anyone is out there to lend a hand.

A pacer or 2 for leg 1 would be a great help...... then the rest could be swopped around to fit.. please contact

Gary Thorpes tel no. 07974424470 or 01229 778118 if you can help
    Last edited by wynn; 04-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Possibly to late now. only setting off to lakes at 7am but could be at Kirkstone at 9.30 if you are desperate for leg 2 support.

Moorlander,

Anyone from your neck of the woods is especially welcome. If you should miss the 9.30 Kirkstone departure, then the arrival at Dunmail is 11.25. One helper is leaving his car at Under Loughrigg getting a lift up to Kirkstone (pick up 8.30 nr bridge at end of under Loughrigg road (S)) running from Kirkstone through to High Raise (9.30 - 12.40) then trotting gently back to his car via Silver Howe and Loughrigg. Will make a nice run out on dry ground, yes its been dry up here except for last Sunday.
    We are having a meal at the Woolpack, Eskdale at 8 pm after the efforts, you will be very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by alf.t View Post
    Two Matlock AC runners are aiming for a sub 12 hour JNC.
    Any news?
    There were at least 2 different groups setting off today.
    One left at 7am & another 8am( Paul Hainsworth of Northumberland Fellrunners) both on a 12hr attempts.
    I saw Pauls group coming off Seat Sandal and at Dunmail.
    He looked really strong and was apparently 20 mins up on schedule.

Well good luck to them all. It's a tough ask to get round in under 12 hours. I'd have liked to volunteer to help, but I can't keep that sort of pace up.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

The Northumberland group with Paul Hainsworth did well from what I could see (I was with the Matlock AC duo at the 7am start). Paul did it in the 11.20s I guess by my watch.

We on the otherhand had some drama, with illness hampering one challenger, and a pacer badly turning his ankle on the way to Rossett just after High Raise. When Rob decided to pass on completing (at Rossett) there was a 12 min deficit on the 12 hour deadline for Andy to catch up with no room for error.
    WE lacked provisions and water but got home with 6 mins to spare, even on the last fell Middle Fell we were not entirely sure of success. BUt relief!!
    We saw Joss at Sty Head (running with poles!) and of course at the finish with his wise words.
    Much thanks to Steve Baker of Helm Hill and Ian Heywood Bowland who covered the middle section at short notice allowing a reshuffle that helped make it happen.
    Rob will return after he clears up his chest complaint and if he waits until September (55th B'day) will earn himself a 3 hour extension to his challenge.
    What perfect weather for it.

Well done - sterling effort!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club