Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joss Naylor Challenge reccy

Joss Naylor Challenge reccy

I'm thinking of reccying the first 2 sections this Saturday, to see if 12-hour pace feels feasible. And to get some idea where the bit between Red Screes and Fairfield goes...

Anyone else looking at the route currently? and/or fancy a scamper? Thinking of 5ish start for caravan site reasons.

I supported leg 1 a few years ago but unsure of the route down from Pike How - can anyone advise?

BTW I love that Joss includes Pike Howe but omits the much more significant Raven's Edge before Kirkstone! Are there any more in-jokes?

Re: Joss Naylor Challenge recc

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    I'm thinking of reccying the first 2 sections this Saturday, to see if 12-hour pace feels feasible. And to get some idea where the bit between Red Screes and Fairfield goes...

Anyone else looking at the route currently? and/or fancy a scamper? Thinking of 5ish start for caravan site reasons.

I supported leg 1 a few years ago but unsure of the route down from Pike How - can anyone advise?

BTW I love that Joss includes Pike Howe but omits the much more significant Raven's Edge before Kirkstone! Are there any more in-jokes?
    You'll crack 12 Hours Rob, esp with all this High altitude training You've been doing Watch out for the DP machine, they are up this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    You'll crack 12 Hours Rob, esp with all this High altitude training You've been doing Watch out for the DP machine, they are up this weekend.
    LOL, walking slowly at altitude, sadly seems antithetic to running fitness :-(

This is the DP BGR machine? I could follow you off Fairfield....

Red Screes to Fairfield is on paths the whole way: I don't think there are any shortcuts worth taking. Look at Wainwright's "Eastern Fells", although he hasn't got the first bit of path from Red Screes summit marked. You need to make sure you get this right, as the path is there, heading about W to the wall junction. Scandale Pass, then a "joke" as you don't have to do Little Hart Crag, even though you're so close & it's much more of a summit than some of the others. Past the summit of Dove Crag, & Joss doesn't count that either. Spotting the right top of Hart Crag in the clag is an interesting one, but it's close by the path (as are other tops).

I followed the path down from Pike How, but I think there's a quicker way below on the RHS - I don't know how to find it though.

The other joke summits are Red Crag & Raven Howe between Wether Hill & High Raise, particularly Raven Howe.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Red Screes to Fairfield is on paths the whole way: I don't think there are any shortcuts worth taking. Look at Wainwright's "Eastern Fells", although he hasn't got the first bit of path from Red Screes summit marked. You need to make sure you get this right, as the path is there, heading about W to the wall junction. Scandale Pass, then a "joke" as you don't have to do Little Hart Crag, even though you're so close & it's much more of a summit than some of the others. Past the summit of Dove Crag, & Joss doesn't count that either. Spotting the right top of Hart Crag in the clag is an interesting one, but it's close by the path (as are other tops).

I followed the path down from Pike How, but I think there's a quicker way below on the RHS - I don't know how to find it though.

The other joke summits are Red Crag & Raven Howe between Wether Hill & High Raise, particularly Raven Howe.
    My copy of Wainwright - Red Screes, pages3/4, has a path heading west from the summit which then divides into one heading north to Middle Dodd and the other almost due west to the wall junction. On my recce of this section I was tempted to cut the corner, in other words go north of the wall junction, though I doubt this is worthwhile as in clag if you go too far north you will miss the pass and have to head up to it. In mist the summit of Red Screes is confusing - there are several rocky outcrops roughly level with the summit rocks - and the most important thing is to make sure you do not end up going south towards Snarker Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    My copy of Wainwright - Red Screes, pages3/4, has a path heading west from the summit which then divides into one heading north to Middle Dodd and the other almost due west to the wall junction. On my recce of this section I was tempted to cut the corner, in other words go north of the wall junction, though I doubt this is worthwhile as in clag if you go too far north you will miss the pass and have to head up to it. In mist the summit of Red Screes is confusing - there are several rocky outcrops roughly level with the summit rocks - and the most important thing is to make sure you do not end up going south towards Snarker Pike.
    It sounds like you've got the original Wainwright edition. The route off Red Screes he shows on that isn't shown as a path, but is the right way, & these days there is a path the whole way apart from the first few yards off the summit. Unfortunately the Chris Jesty 2nd edition doesn't show this path. Finding the summit should be easy enough, as there is a continuous trod all the way up from the Kirkstone Inn car park. At least, I had no problem with it.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    It sounds like you've got the original Wainwright edition. The route off Red Screes he shows on that isn't shown as a path, but is the right way, & these days there is a path the whole way apart from the first few yards off the summit. Unfortunately the Chris Jesty 2nd edition doesn't show this path. Finding the summit should be easy enough, as there is a continuous trod all the way up from the Kirkstone Inn car park. At least, I had no problem with it.
    I agree, finding the summit is easy, but if you are expecting the path needed to lead directly from it, it is not quite as simple as you might expect from Wainwright's simplified diagram/description.

Rob - too many weekends away at the moment, otherwise I'd have joined you.

From Pike How head back towards the path then follow it towards Raven's Edge. Leave the path near a big boulder (I think) fairly soon after you start to ascend and you can make a pretty rough & rocky direct line towards the pub. I'm not convinced this is quicker than the path over Raven's Edge, but it's shorter.

My favourite day out for this section was to leave the route at Fairfield, go over St. Sunday and have a pint in the White Lion before getting the bus back from Patterdale to Pooley Bridge.

Thanks for the info. I supported Leg 1 a few years ago and have been up Red Screes recently but the info from there to Fairfield is appreciated. I'll see if I can find a way past Ravens Edge.

Next point is I suppose Great End - is down the gully best, supposing it can be found?

Scoat - Haycock - Seatallan any surprises?

Seatallan descent I did a while back, maybe keep a bit L of the beeline to the col?

Middle Fell - some scope for getting tangled in little outcrops IIRC...

Thanks Geoff - I'll check that out. You've even answered the bus route question I forgot to ask!