Thread: Routes in the Cheviots

Routes in the Cheviots

I'm probably going to find myself in the Cheviots on Monday and so I'm wondering if anyone has any good training routes. I'm probably going to start in Alwinton or somewhere in that neck of the woods. Something in the 3/4 hour region would be great - so about 20 miles?

Mark

Re: Routes in the Cheviots

You are lucky, Alwinton is a great place to set of from.
    There are loads of good tracks and paths leading off from the village, and there are waymarked bike/horse and walking routes, e.g. the Border County ride is well signposted. Just set off with the map and you'll have a good run whichever way you go.

Usually http://walkingbritain.co.uk/index.php is a good place to find route ideas, though sod's law, nothing from Alwinton!

Try looking at the Northumberland Fell Runners site and maybe do one or two of the race routes. In the 'What's on section, the race details are often accompanied by route maps.

http://www.northumberlandfellrunners.../whats_on.html

A 20 miler would be the Chevy Chase (starting from Wooler). Shorter routes from Alwinton or nearby include the wonderful Windy Gyle race - which would probably come close to the 20 by the time you'd run from Alwinton to the start at Barrowburn. And obviously the Alwinton Round.

Enjoy

Google this St Cuthbert's Way it goes right across the hills and passes through Wooler.

Thanks for the ideas. I think i'll do a round from Alwinton up Clennel Street and then onto the border ridge before heading from Cheviot to Bloodybush edge and back. Hope the weather picks up!

have a look on the northumberland MRT website under cheviots challenge. some great longer routes and maps

i did the cheviot challenge in 2007 and may well rereate that route, although the weather os looking dicey...

AAhh Cheviot Challenge brings back memories , did it in 2003 organised by the CHAOS Club, (Climbing Hills And Other Sports) red hot weather and it cost me 3 toe nails and over 150 midge bites on my legs (counted by my kids as a competition as to which leg had the most ) Cheaper than toys at my house . I still have the T shirt which will never be thrown out. Started to make think of doing it again THIS TIME WITH MIDGE REPELLENT.

My in laws, who are knocking on 70, walk it every year and so i decided to see what the fuss was all about and ran it with the wife one year (it was 2009, not 2007 now i think of it). I really enjyed it - low key, well organised, very friendly and welcoming to runners despite it being a walking event for the mostpart. I will do it again at some point.

The planned route then is to leave Alwinton via Pass Peth, up to the border fence and along to the Cheviot, south to Bloodybush Edge and then back via Clennel Street. Abpout 24 miles and 5000'.

Hope the weather holds for Monday :-)

The planned route then is to leave Alwinton via Pass Peth, up to the border fence and along to the Cheviot, south to Bloodybush Edge and then back via Clennel Street. Abpout 24 miles and 5000'.

Hope the weather holds for Monday :-)[/QUOTE]

Let us know how it goes , forecast looks a bit wet though !