Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Metric categories

Banned

Re: Metric categories

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Thought of volunteering for the vacant Fixtures Secretary post?
    Stupid question.

Margret does a fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Thought of volunteering for the vacant Fixtures Secretary post?
    Some people already have.

Banned

If I wanted the job I would apply.
    That, my dear grumpy was not the point.
    If you care to re-read the thread you will get to the point I was making.
    Which you failed to discuss or answer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crikey all those exclamation marks would fit nicely behind the expletives voiced by me when when starting the ascent of Dalehead at the end of Borrowdale in August (gentle full stop).

Metrication is part of the master plan of the New World Order and another step towards the World Government. Who would have thought the FRA would be a part of it? When do I get me black cloak and get to sacrifice some virgins?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Fellhound

It's tiresome when you have to try to make brilliant majestic fells conform to a pawky system of measurement and standardisation, and I am definitely in the 'anti' camp when it comes to metrication, BUT, the categories are put there to try to provide some guidance and information on the relative severity if the courses and if you have measured requirements you have to stick to them.

For me, subjectively, Otley Chevin is a B and Ilkley Moor is an A (I've always said there should be an A+ category for the very hardest races). However, it's not about subjectivity it's about hard (ish) measurements, which is why the Three Peaks being an A is an ongoing mystery... oh no, lets not start that debate again!

AW

As an often runner of the 3 peaks I thinks it qualifies as an A in that to the top of the third peak that's exactly what it is, but with a 5 mile run in tacked on the end. That and its speed for the distance which in many ways makes it harder. Mind you the high peak marathon and the fellsman are both super tough and they for sure will only qualify as BL's. They're just letters to be honest and alone mean nothing. For example I sometimes think many of the steep lakeland races are actually a bit easier because you have to walk the ups

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    As an often runner of the 3 peaks I thinks it qualifies as an A in that to the top of the third peak that's exactly what it is, but with a 5 mile run in tacked on the end. That and its speed for the distance which in many ways makes it harder. Mind you the high peak marathon and the fellsman are both super tough and they for sure will only qualify as BL's. They're just letters to be honest and alone mean nothing. For example I sometimes think many of the steep lakeland races are actually a bit easier because you have to walk the ups
    Being Pedantic, the fellsman isn't technically a "true" fell race, as it's not an FRA-registered event...

I believe it comes under the same definition as LDWA challenge events.

Of course, in reality, most of the people doing it run it and are definitely racing at the front end, so it is a fell race from that point of view.

And it is definitely hard - not something I aspire to do any time in the near to mid future.
    Last edited by fozzy; 16-04-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

I'm a little bit amazed sometimes at the feelings around the metrification issue. I wonder if they went through the same scope of debate when they stopped using leagues and cubits?

In terms of the CATs, they are a guide, so that someone considering a race gets a feel for the degree of difficulty. But that is it purely a guide as no one can really prepare you for the real thing until you go and do it.
    You can have a look at race record etc to get a feel for how tough a course is.

I agree with FellHound on the A+

I'm a little torn on the PPP. It does have a special place in fell running and I'm sure that the changes to the route, as much for environmental issues as anything, have lead to the race being a little longer but with the same ascent and taken it from technically being an A to a B.

If you had it as CP to CP, then it would become an A and I think that should be perhaps the way a race is categorised as it clearly does not make it any easier by adding a couple of miles of relatively flat running.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Being Pedantic, the fellsman isn't technically a "true" fell race, as it's not an FRA-registered event...

I believe it comes under the same definition as LDWA challenge events.

Of course, in reality, most of the people doing it run it and are definitely racing at the front end, so it is a fell race from that point of view.

And it is definitely hard - not something I aspire to do any time in the near to mid future.
    Being pedantic with your pedanticness ( ) I think a race need only be in the fells to be called a fell race. FRA-registered is neither here nor there.

But were the Fellsman to have a category it would only be BL thats for sure. Heck the first 3 peaks - Ingleborough, Whernside and Gragareth - would qualify as an AL on their own and thats with, what, another 8 mountain/ridge tops and 47 miles to go after that
    Last edited by Stolly; 17-04-2012 at 08:47 AM.