Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Metric categories

Re: Metric categories

Quote Originally Posted by FRAFixtures View Post
    The FRA committee together with the governing bodies for fell/hill/mountain running in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales decided to go with "rounded" figures at the time of metrication - the definitions of Cat. A, B and C races are incorporated into both FRA and UKA rules.

You ask why not use a direct conversion of 250ft/mile to the metric equivalent ie 47.5m/km. The new metric rules are expected to be in use for many years to come. An organiser of a new race at some future date could equally well think it strange to have an unmemorable requirement of 47.5m/km!

We then had to decide whether to "round up" or "round down". In the case of Cat. A races, in particular, it was felt more appropriate to raise the bar than to lower it. Hence a relatively small proportion of races have changed category this year.
    That's fair enough, that's what I was after. Although I don't think it raises the bar as such (except as in raising the standard required to be allowed into the category). If you think about it, any races that were borderline before will now be downgraded to the lower category thus lowering the bar really by moving relatively harder races into the easier categories. Just a thought.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Big Compass View Post
    Otley race down to me Rob, we did a club run last year with the Garmin and came up with that result, if I went and jumped up and down a bit, might have got it to an "A", sorry
    Don't worry about it, accuracy is important (to me anyway)
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

As RO for Ilkley Moor I must admit to being a little surprised that my submission of the race as AS was changed to BS without consulting me.
    I had noticed the implications of the metrification changes, requiring just a little more climb/length, but I thought "the race has always been AS, of course it still is, and there'll be some flexibility".
    The Rules say "should" and not "must" or "shall" wrt the climb requirement, and the RO's submission should be considered.
    Last edited by Paul; 05-04-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    As RO for Ilkley Moor I must admit to being a little surprised that my submission of the race as AS was changed to BS without consulting me.
    I had noticed the implications of the metrification changes, requiring just a little more climb/length, but I thought "the race has always been AS, of course it still is, and there'll be some flexibility".
    The Rules say "should" and not "must" or "shall" wrt the climb requirement, and the RO's submission should be considered.
    This was what had confused me in the first place, I had always thought Ilkley moor was an A and then to see it marked as a B made me think I was going daft, so I worked the figures out and still got over 250ft/mile which is what prompted me to mess about with the metric conversion stuff.It's not even 2m out of the A category so it surprised me that it had been changed at all, fairly unnecessary I thought.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Make it a little bit shorter and it will be an AS again.

On the other hand if it's a BS then kit isn't mandatory. (oh no don't start that debate again)
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    In the letter I sent to all race organisers with Permit application forms I tried to explain the consequences of metrication as follows:-

"Metrication. Metric units will be used for the 2012 Calendar.
    • It would be helpful if organisers used metrication as an opportunity to check lengths and climbs for their races. This is particularly important for Short races and those near the Short/Medium interface so that the age rules can be correctly applied for juniors entering senior events.
    • Conversion factors from imperial units are as follows:
      1 mile ≡ 1.609 kilometres 1 foot ≡ 0.305 metres
      Both metric and imperial values for 2011 races can be viewed in the website Calendar
      http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php
    • Specifications for the new metric distance/climb Categories and the maximum age related distances for juniors can be found in the updated FRA Rules for Competition which will be available on http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/organisers.php (copies of the updated Rules for Competition were also sent to each organiser)

As a result of the new boundaries a few races will change Category."
    Margaret
    Last edited by FRAFixtures; 05-04-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Banned

Tut Tut Tut
    3 Peaks
    1608m ascent 37.4k long = 42.99m/k
    STILL 'A' class
    Please EXPLAIN??????

Is it me? Being an also-ran - which I guess most of us are; I am not exercised by what category the race is because in my humble view the difficulty depends more on the weather on the day and the amount of training I have under my belt than what letters the race has been allocated as a prefix.

I expect Borrowdale will be quite easy then with it being in August?!
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Tut Tut Tut
    3 Peaks
    1608m ascent 37.4k long = 42.99m/k
    STILL 'A' class
    Please EXPLAIN??????
    It's hard, hence the A class I would imagine.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter