Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ennerdale

Re: Ennerdale

Just for your interest/comparison WP. I did 3PPP last year in 4.48ish, I did Ennerdale in something under 6.30, but could, I believe, have gone 20-30 minutes faster if not for bad 'trapped wind' going up Kirkfell and a bit after there. The difference is the hill work, I'm sure. I do a fair bit on the cross trainer at work to improve leg strength and over the last 2-3 years its made a big difference to 'racing' and training. I think I did Wasdale in 5.30 ish just for further comparison, I'd need to double check that tho'!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Just for your interest/comparison WP. I did 3PPP last year in 4.48ish, I did Ennerdale in something under 6.30, but could, I believe, have gone 20-30 minutes faster if not for bad 'trapped wind' going up Kirkfell and a bit after there. The difference is the hill work, I'm sure. I do a fair bit on the cross trainer at work to improve leg strength and over the last 2-3 years its made a big difference to 'racing' and training. I think I did Wasdale in 5.30 ish just for further comparison, I'd need to double check that tho'!
    I think you are right with the climbing. I have decent speed for my level, which means I can get by in the PPP (usually) where I finished just in front of you in 2011, but clearly then on a race with more climb and importantly decent, I come a cropper and you got around.

Interesting your comment about the cross trainer. I used to go to the gym a couple of times a week and do a 1000 cal burn on the cross trainer. I stopped after I had a partial prolapsed disc and have never gone back, but I probably climbed better then than I do now and perhaps the cross trainer has something to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I think you are right with the climbing. I have decent speed for my level, which means I can get by in the PPP (usually) where I finished just in front of you in 2011, but clearly then on a race with more climb and importantly decent, I come a cropper and you got around.

Interesting your comment about the cross trainer. I used to go to the gym a couple of times a week and do a 1000 cal burn on the cross trainer. I stopped after I had a partial prolapsed disc and have never gone back, but I probably climbed better then than I do now and perhaps the cross trainer has something to do with that.
    Definitely agree on the climbing. For me its the hill repeat sessions that have massively improved my fitness. In the past I used to do a pretty half hearted 30-40 min session. This year I've steadily increased to a full on 2 hours and around 4000 ft of climbing. Long runs are so much more comfortable now and I'm starting to feel confident(ish) about getting round Wasdale.

I used to cycle a lot more than I do now and struggled to understand why I wasnt doing very well in fell races which I did when I moved over to Cumbria. Once I realised I'd lost the leg strength I started on the cross trainer and Bob's your mothers brother!!! I'd like to get out more on the bike(s) but times the issue.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Witton P - Ennerdale 2013 - you've got a date

If I've got my running legs back hopefully see you at Duddon this year.

Had a great day reccying the route on Sunday and was extremely lucky with the weather, warm and clear.

Think I did what Will R mentioned at the start. Found the line ok at first, but then must've traversed too far round and had a hands on floor, steep climb to get back on track (Great Bourne).

Happened to recognise Kim Collinson and a friend on Red Pike who were also reccying the route so thought it might be an idea to have a gander at their line round High Stile etc. so followed discreetly. Just about managed to keep them in view enough to get me round! It seemed a relatively simple traverse, taking you to the top of High Crag. Then descended, thinking I'd got to Scarth Gap Pass and traversed round what I thought was Haystacks, but which was actually just a nobble that took me to a big descent and the actual Haystacks!

Messed up the traverse round Haystacks. Followed the fence to the right, then upwards, till the fance went left directly to the top so climbed over. Had no idea when to go up so went up when Black Sail Hut was pretty much by my right side. Any ideas if that's about right or what to look for to know? I probably mistakenly then stuck to the fence going along the top and missed Blackbeck Tarn completely. Must have to come up from the traverse and then go over Haystacks somehow to meet the tarns. Interested to hear any tips on that as it felt a bit of a stab in the dark to me.

Only saw the tarn when I was looking back from half way up Brandreth.

All seemed straighforward enough till Kirk Fell.... I'd heard the gully was worth a look, but you always hope things aren't as bad as they're made out. Afraid I bottled out of going down it. It may have been ok, but it seemed very steep and it didn't help that about halfway down it seemed to disappear and you couldn't see the gradient at all. Think I'll be going down the fence posts way, even if it costs me a few places.

Messed up a bit around Scoat Fell, going towards Red Pike (the other one) too far, but wasn't too bad.

Enjoyed the smooth run towards the end, although wrongly thought it was all downhill to the end so was a bit disappointed by the sight of Crag Fell. Could just about taste my packet of hobnobs waiting for me and then I had that to get over.

Highlight was probably having a packet of crisps on Green Gable and just admiring that view.... Amazing stuff.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    Messed up the traverse round Haystacks. Followed the fence to the right, then upwards, till the fance went left directly to the top so climbed over. Had no idea when to go up so went up when Black Sail Hut was pretty much by my right side. Any ideas if that's about right or what to look for to know? I
    At the point you climbed over (if its the wire fence I think it is) you go straight up on the left side of the fence then bear right (more or less due East) down a ramplike section towards Innominate tarn.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    At the point you climbed over (if its the wire fence I think it is) you go straight up on the left side of the fence then bear right (more or less due East) down a ramplike section towards Innominate tarn.
    It's a wire fence, looks quite new, following old fence posts. So when the fence goes 90 degrees left and steeply up, do you follow that? I climbed over at that point and carried on going forwards, parallel with the Ennerdale Valley (not got map on me so can't confirm directions I'm afraid).

(Perhaps ought to ask this question again when got a map on me to be clear.)

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    It's a wire fence, looks quite new, following old fence posts. So when the fence goes 90 degrees left and steeply up, do you follow that? I climbed over at that point and carried on going forwards, parallel with the Ennerdale Valley (not got map on me so can't confirm directions I'm afraid).

(Perhaps ought to ask this question again when got a map on me to be clear.)
    Yes follow it straight up, quite steep as I recall. The below section of map is the route I did last year. It is possible to traverse a little higher up Haystacks but you still come out at the fence I believe. The fence is at the point the red line turns sharply to the left. Hope this helps. )

Thanks for that. Will have a look on the map when I get home and see how it compares to what I did. So you're going up (left) much sooner than the Black Sail Hut then. The fence went up so steeply it makes it seem hardly worth traversing at all in a way. Bit confused. Tricky one.