Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent Socks

Re: Decent Socks

Another vote for Running Bear. I used allsorts of technical socks before getting a pair free at the Christmas Cracker. Never use anything else now
    I am not in the 24hr league though!
    (and I do live within shopping distance of Running Bear, but they do internet orders)
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

Hmmm...think I might try running bear as they are cheaper than groundhog and so many people seem to like them. I always wear mine to death and am currently running with odd socks to avoid the holes. They do last for hundreds and hundreds of miles though!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    The black Running Bear socks wear well but the colours don't seem to last as well as Pete Bland's
    I prefer the Pete Bland ones (all terrain £5 a pair) which I find comfortable and hard wearing and dont shrink as badly as other makes including Running Bear. They have sales offers on them from time to time. I picked up a 4 pairs for the price of 3 at their van at Black Combe fell race using an old £15 prize voucher from last year. They will last me a couple of years at least :thumbup:

Oi "nee bother" I do find that my shoes are good and will have a spare pair of speedcross 3 to chnage in to if I need.

Looks like I will be purchasing some running bear, however not as your birthday present...

I always suffered from between the toes rubbing and blistering on long runs so discovering Injinji socks was a revelation

http://www.betaclimbingdesigns.com/p...c-303_373.html

The Outdoor NuWool are superb for boggy slogs.

I have found that running bear socks give me really bad blisters if I use them over 45mins. Basic thin cotton socks seem to always be fine for longer runs and the sealskin socks for wet/snowy conditions.

Another vote for the legendary Running Bear socks - I've had no trouble with shrinking (washed at 40 degrees, as they're mainly wool). They give me no blisters up to 14 hours at a stretch, so I can't vouch for your last 10 hours...yet. And I've never been able to face changing socks in the middle of a run - it's bad enough getting the old ones off after I've finished.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I should try running bear socks. I rather like the bear on them, but no doubt I will get ridiculed by the road cycling community

A vote for woollen socks here, of whatever make. They keep your feet warm when wet and cool on a hot summers day. I have had different makes and thicknesses over the years but find the Smartwool short, thin ones are my preferred...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by rdb77uk View Post
    I have found that running bear socks give me really bad blisters if I use them over 45mins. Basic thin cotton socks seem to always be fine for longer runs and the sealskin socks for wet/snowy conditions.
    Amen Brother!

Another fan of Injinji toe socks here. I use their thinnest coolmax toe sock as a liner to prevent blisters between my toes, then I use a light smartwool sock with a slight cushion over the top. If it's a shorter run, I'll just use a normal wicking liner sock.

I avoid normal cotton, as it soaks up sweat and causes blisters.

If it's very wet, I'll use Sealskinz instead of the smartwool to stop my feet getting drenched.

Best thing I did regarding my feet was to read Fixing your Feet by John Vonhof. I learnt a lot about socks and getting shoes that fit well. I've not had a blister or black toenail since.
    Last edited by davidkidd; 12-04-2012 at 09:48 PM.