Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticks help!

Glucosamine and Lymes Disease

Following a link posted by cotswoldrunner about colds and vitC, I found two additional pages worth looking at:-

One about Glucosamine
    http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...ucosamine.html

and one (unrelated page) about Lymes disease
    http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...pics/lyme.html

Re: Glucosamine and Lymes Dise

Lymes disease - I contracted this acouple of years ago after running over heathland in Dorset and getting bitten by a deertick. I felt ill a few days later in a fluey sort of way and then came out in a rash on my upper body. Luckily my doctor diagnosed it very quickly and put me on the appropriate meds. I made a rapid and full recovery. However, I am aware of other people who didn't get treated as swiftly and have suffered with long term ill health as a consequence.

So if you've been running where deer are, and you subsequently have any of the symptoms of Lymes, then go to the doc post haste.

Cheers - Raymond

p.s. I also take glucosamine, since it does seem to have some scientific credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Hickman View Post
    Lymes disease - I contracted this acouple of years ago after running over heathland in Dorset and getting bitten by a deertick. I felt ill a few days later in a fluey sort of way and then came out in a rash on my upper body. Luckily my doctor diagnosed it very quickly and put me on the appropriate meds. I made a rapid and full recovery. However, I am aware of other people who didn't get treated as swiftly and have suffered with long term ill health as a consequence.

So if you've been running where deer are, and you subsequently have any of the symptoms of Lymes, then go to the doc post haste.

Cheers - Raymond

p.s. I also take glucosamine, since it does seem to have some scientific credibility.
    And not just deer ticks. I believe that sheep ticks, also, are carriers.

Re Lymes disease, this stuff really does worry me, the thought of getting a life long debilitating illness is just horrific.

There were a few reports of it in the peak district (Crowden Region I think) in 2006, I'm not sure if there were any last year.

How would you recognise a tick bite?

david

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    How would you recognise a tick bite?
    They don't just bite, they cling on so you'll see the tick merrily gorging itself on your blood. You won't feel the bite as they excrete an anaesthetic which numbs the skin. Horrible things.

Lymes disease
    Someone quite well known had this or something like this(insect bite),can't remember what happened to him,and i can't remember who the hell it was ! I remember reading about him feeling terrible for months getting gradually worse resulting in.... can't remember that either
    Door,coat...

Master

Rats also carry Lymes disease
    The older I get the Faster I was

Take care with water sports, rats piddle on the river banks etc can carry lymes disease, it is easily transfered to the mouth...!
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

david

Quote Originally Posted by haworth hobbler View Post
    Take care with water sports, rats piddle on the river banks etc can carry lymes disease, it is easily transfered to the mouth...!
    I thought that was Weil's disease ?

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/news/gregory.htm

Coat back on hanger........... I thought i'd heard of this recently.Mike Gregory died not so long ago.
    Last edited by david; 18-01-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Fixed broken hyperlink