Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cumbria Corner

Cumbria Corner

Now please forgive me all you non Cumbrians but i joined the forum a few months ago with great anticipation and I have tried my best to get involved with the odd post here and there. However my dilema is this; I live in Cumbria and most active forumites seem to live outiside Cumbria and mostly in the same area. I'd go as far as to suggest that there's one huge forumite hostel with a computer, a couple of carers and a drying room. (Business opportunity?)

Anyway, i'm probably just jealous that I can't get into the craic so I thought i'd test the water to see if there's any other Cumbrian lurkers out there who want to chat about local stuff ?

For the avoidance of doubt, I do like to read the non Cumbrian stuff and i'm in no way County Top Racist

Re: Cumbria Corner

I live in Cumbria and due to not being born here, so I am told, will always be an off-comer. But we pays our taxes so lets enjoy runnin on these fells. Which I must add are not over run with true Cumbrian's. Seems to be a lot more race orientation out of Cumbria, so most running we do here is just for the craic.
    let the good times roll.

There are a number of us lurking on here.... but, as I have limited experience of our local fell area others on this site are vastly more experienced.
    If I need specific informaton about a subject its as easy to search the archives as eventually posts get answered with the words......We did this subject to death in ....... its a bit off-putting after a while.

I prefer to listen & learn

Tomsdad
    Someone has to bring up the rear

There's plenty of Cumbria-dwellers on here. We're just not so bolshy as our neighbours to the east and the south and we tend to keep a low profile.
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

Sleepless, you are clearly mixing with the wrong people, you'd be welcome anywhere in Cumbria from my experience. I find that the "off comers" who enter into the general spirit and mindset and don't try to be big shots get accepted within 10 to 20 years ! Only joking, its not Yorkshire. Seriously, if you fancy a plod out give me a shout. I'm slow mind.

Toms dad, i'm pretty versed in the Wasdale stuff so happy to share my local knowledge, BG reccies included.

Eleanor, you sort of hit my mindset pretty much full on, I was stuck between saying bugger all and setting this up but I thought well I may get to here some local tales of where the lambs are and how the ground is on race routes but to be honest i'm that slow these days it doesn't really matter ! Plus I run with a farmer and end most runs faffing around with his sheep anyway.

Forget I raised this post, i'm a halfwhit.

I'd like to clarify "Faffing around with his sheep anyway" this refers to gathering flock with dogs on my mates open land, he's a farmer and has sheep. I am just there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
    I was stuck between saying bugger all and setting this up
    I'm with you. Never choose 'saying bugger all' if there's something on your mind! On Cumbria knowledge, do you know anything about the weather this lunchtime down at Black Combe? I didn't go, but kind of wish I did. I'm hoping it was claggy but fear it was a good day. It got real lovely in Ambleside so I raced up and down Loughrigg this afty and nearly got inside my race time. That was the frustration from missing Black Combe I think - made me run faster.
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

You made the right decision Eleanor, the clag was down on Black Combe, I haven't had a full report off my mate who ran it but his wif said it was poor. Unless she meant he was poor ??? It looked clagged in all day from my house anyway.

I'm a non-cumbrian cumbria dweller, and I assume fellow CFrer to boot!!! I'm up Carlisle, and its nice!

Smile Re: Cumbria Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    I'm with you. Never choose 'saying bugger all' if there's something on your mind! On Cumbria knowledge, do you know anything about the weather this lunchtime down at Black Combe? I didn't go, but kind of wish I did. I'm hoping it was claggy but fear it was a good day. It got real lovely in Ambleside so I raced up and down Loughrigg this afty and nearly got inside my race time. That was the frustration from missing Black Combe I think - made me run faster.
    You were right! It was a really good morning with warm sunshine BUT about 30 minutes into the race it went all dark and we had a vicious 5minute hail squall - I've still got hail-rash all down my legs. After that it went back to calm warm sunshine again -Ho Hum