Incredible!

I am also revisiting this thread, as my old meniscal tear that was left unoperated on has strated to trouble me again after years of laying low. It has been suggested to have the joint tidied up at last, however, my consultant has since retired...

I am toying between getting myself on the NHS waiting list or roughing and toughing it out and keep using the knee through the pain and swelling... Swelling seems to go up and down like a yoyo and I haven't ridden my bike for a month now

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
Having today been to see a consultant about my right knee, I find myself revisiting this thread.

I've not been able to run since June. I've suspected the injury is a medial meniscus tear, and the consultant thought so too.
He wants to do an MRI scan first, but if that confirms his diagnosis he is very upbeat about surgery being the best option, and one with a very high probability of success. He says it's rare for this type of injury to self-heal. I told him about my experience of ankle arthroscopy twenty years ago but he reassured me that the knee operation is usually more straightforward and the recovery time is much quicker. In fact, he told me that one of his patients was back running after just three days! I'd rather like to believe this, particularly as, like Henry Porter in days of yore, I've piled on the pounds to the extent that I've had to buy larger trousers....

I know Dylan has had recent experience of similar knee surgery. Anyone else?
BTW, my X-rays showed the joint itself to be in good condition, and I don't normally suffer from knee problems. This is a very specific pain at a precise point and I have full mobility with no swelling or ligament damage.