Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Timer, Stockport

First Timer, Stockport

Hi, can anybody recommend a running group? I live in Stockport, work in Hale and spend a lot of time in Hyde so anywhere not too far of a drive from those locations.

I've never tried fell running, but have done a few 10ks and run for fun once or twice a week. Need to know the ropes, and some routes, and would like to make a few friends as well!

Thanks
    Donna

Re: First Timer, Stockport

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi, can anybody recommend a running group? I live in Stockport, work in Hale and spend a lot of time in Hyde so anywhere not too far of a drive from those locations.

I've never tried fell running, but have done a few 10ks and run for fun once or twice a week. Need to know the ropes, and some routes, and would like to make a few friends as well!

Thanks
    Donna

Hi Donna I work in Stalybridge and live in Didsbury, I run for Pennine! We meet in Hayfield every Thursday at 7pm outside the Royal Hotel. Lots of us live in South Manchester/Stockport and you'd be more than welcome to join us.

Here's our blog and website if you want more info.

Hi Donna,

There's also Glossopdale Harriers (who I run with) - we run from Glossop Leisure Centre at 7pm every Tues and Thurs (http://www.glossopdale.org.uk/) - we've got quite a few new fell runners recently and there's always someone to look after you. I'm taking out a new fell runner tomorrow in the afternoon, and can often do runs at various times. I've only been fell running a year so am still learning too!

Lynne

To echo what Dan said, I live in Marple and there are quite a few Pennine members based in the Marple/Mellor area. Leave Stockport at 18:30 you would be in Hayfield on time for the 19:00 departure.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 19-06-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks guys, I think I'll give both groups a go when I get back from my hols in a few weeks. What gear do I need to start with other than a decent pair of shoes? And do both clubs have a bit of a social feel to them in your opinion? I'm hoping to make new friends too!

Thanks guys, I think I'll give both groups a go when I get back from my hols in a few weeks. What gear do I need to start with other than a decent pair of shoes? And do both clubs have a bit of a social feel to them in your opinion? I'm hoping to make new friends too!

Fell or aggressive trail shoes and a waterproof/windproof coat and trousers will see you right. I wouldn't worry about a map ect no one will leave you behind!

As for the social we always have a pint and a natter in the Royal afterwards and everyone's really friendly.

As another thought, on+off road running, but not always hills. We have members all over Cheshire, inc Disley and Hale, Altrincham:

http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/hashmain.htmCheshire Hash House Harriers. Several experienced fell runners+mountain marathoners, a few adventure racers, some road runners and some plodders. Always a social afterwards. Different pub every week, anywhere in Cheshire. no commitment, turn up as often as you please.
    No subs, just a kitty on the night if you stay for the drink
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

Look forward to seeing you soon Donna. As for gear, what DDan said - waterproofs, drink and a small bumbag to fit them in. Let me know when yr heading to join Glossopdale and I'll either make sure I'm out that night or get one of the other girls to be there. We're a social bunch though don't routinely go to the pub straight after a run...saying that, last night we had home brewed alcohol and homemade gingernut biscuits on top of Kinder to celebrate the summer solstice (just don't mention the weather!!)...then popped into the Royal in Hayfield for a few drinks. there's often one or two from Manchester way who get the train home and I believe the odd pint is downed waiting for trains...!
    have a good holiday,
    Lynne

There's Stockport Harriers too!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    last night we had home brewed alcohol and homemade gingernut biscuits on top of Kinder
    Pennine had our annual mini rely - 4 person teams running from Ladybower dam back to hayfield, always a great night. Midgies were desperate last night, what was it like up on Kinder?