Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clubs in Ribble Valley area?

Clubs in Ribble Valley area?

Hello

I'm thinking of joining a club with a view to entering some races this year.

I live in Clitheroe and reckon there are (at least) three local-ish clubs to choose from: Clayton le Moors, Bowland and Settle.

What is to choose between them, if this isn't a daft question?

I know that Clayton is bigger (more prolific?) than the other two and a bit closer too. On the other hand, I'm drawn to the Bowland hills... But then I grew up near Settle, so for sentimental reasons...

Any advice -and insider knowledge -would be helpful!
    Cheers.

Re: Clubs in Ribble Valley are

Quote Originally Posted by eardstapa View Post
    Hello

I'm thinking of joining a club with a view to entering some races this year.

I live in Clitheroe and reckon there are (at least) three local-ish clubs to choose from: Clayton le Moors, Bowland and Settle.

What is to choose between them, if this isn't a daft question?

I know that Clayton is bigger (more prolific?) than the other two and a bit closer too. On the other hand, I'm drawn to the Bowland hills... But then I grew up near Settle, so for sentimental reasons...

Any advice -and insider knowledge -would be helpful!
    Cheers.
    First off you don't have to join a club to enter any races. Settle Harriers are a good bunch and tend to run all over the place, mainly because their members live all over the place. I used to run with them occasionally but can't nowadays make their training evenings. I know one or two of the Bowlanders slightly and they seem a good lot too; what Bowland might lack in hills it more than makes up for with bogs. As for the CLM lot, I know not very much about them at all, other than they always seem to be running on Pendle. That said running on Pendle all the time may say something about them, I'm not sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    First off you don't have to join a club to enter any races.
    Yes, you're right of course. There are other reasons too: training sessions, nice vest to wear, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    That said running on Pendle all the time may say something about them, I'm not sure....
    Haha - Yes, I think I know what you're getting at! Thanks for the advice; you've given some helpful pointers there.

Quote Originally Posted by eardstapa View Post
    Hello<BR><BR>I'm thinking of joining a club with a view to entering some races this year.<BR><BR>I live in Clitheroe and reckon there are (at least) three local-ish clubs to choose from: Clayton le Moors, Bowland and Settle.<BR><BR>What is to choose between them, if this isn't a daft question?<BR><BR>I know that Clayton is bigger (more prolific?) than the other two and a bit closer too. On the other hand, I'm drawn to the Bowland hills... But then I grew up near Settle, so for sentimental reasons...<BR><BR>Any advice -and insider knowledge -would be helpful! <BR>Cheers.
    The Bowland lot are a very friendly club, with club challenges on Pendle on Tuesday night and Parlick on Wednesdays nights, followed by a few beers in a local hostelry.These nights often attract 20- 30 or so people all heading off on different challenges running all over the place but always meeting up in the pub later. They even have a bat winter league (which had 110 different entrants last winter).The Bowland fells can be boggy but to say that they're lacking in hills is a bit misleading.There is plenty to go at and they get very remote, but best of all they are very quiet, somedays you can be out for 5-6 hours and not see anyone other than on Parlick/Fairsnape. Have a look at their website (especially the Blog) and get in touch, turn up and make yourself known, you will be more than welcome. http://www.bowlandfellrunners.org.uk/
    Last edited by willycopter; 13-04-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added web address

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Their website is v enticing, especially the long distance challenges part, and I agree that there is something special about the Bowland fells. A well-kept sort-of-secret! I', going to look into the club challenges - thanks for the tip. Looks like a good way to get started!
    Cheers

Here, here, Willicopter. I ran U/A for 20 years; but throwing my lot in with Bowland, 10 years ago, was my best fellrunning move.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Here, here, Willicopter. I ran U/A for 20 years; but throwing my lot in with Bowland, 10 years ago, was my best fellrunning move.
    But does Bowland agree with you

NB. Just remember there are other options. CLEM and Bowland are great for the fells, but of you want a bit of variety and access to coaches then we at Blackburn aren't that far away and have quite a few coming down from the RV area - in fact as far away as Dunsop Bridge.

Haha, I wasn't dismissing the whole of Bowland for a lack of hills; they are a right bugger though to get to from Settle and they're also not particularly dog friendly, otherwise I'd make the effort more often. The mountain bikers have ruined Gisburn Forest, the nearest bit of Bowland I used to visit.

Hi,
    so, which club did you join? I live in Waddington and I'm looking to start fell running and am looking for a club or other runners to go out running/staggering with. Any advice greatly received!