Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clubs in Ribble Valley area?

Re: Clubs in Ribble Valley are

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Hi,
    so, which club did you join? I live in Waddington and I'm looking to start fell running and am looking for a club or other runners to go out running/staggering with. Any advice greatly received!
    With Bowland and Clayton on your doorstep, do you mind if I ask why start another club?

Misread sorry pal - :P
    Last edited by Witton Park; 09-06-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Hi,
    so, which club did you join? I live in Waddington and I'm looking to start fell running and am looking for a club or other runners to go out running/staggering with. Any advice greatly received!
    I'm from Waddington, so chose Bowland Fell Runners, as Waddington is in the Forest of Bowland

Its pure fell as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    I'm from Waddington, so chose Bowland Fell Runners, as Waddington is in the Forest of Bowland

Its pure fell as well.
    I agree and i'm trying to arrange going out on a run this week, maybe Wednesday, depending whats on.

I agree and i'm trying to arrange going out on a run this week, maybe Wednesday, depending whats on.
    Paddy's Pole Tuesday night 7:15 pm, Wednesday night is club night from fell foot (Parlick). Plenty of people out from 6:00 onwards.

Hi Jason
    I'm still sitting on the fence about this as it's a tough choice! Clayton and Bowland both seem very prolific: you see a lot of their vests at races. On the other hand I've run in a couple of races organised by Settle recently and very much enjoyed those experiences - also I do really like the terrain over that way... So, no closer really! Surprising there isn't a club here in Clitheroe, isn't it?
    Swa cwæð eardstapa

Hi eardstapa,
    Its surprising there are no running/athletics or triathlon clubs round Clitheroe, theres only been a Cycling club for the last couple of years. I went out with Bowland FR last week, up Parlick fell, it was a good run. They were all really friendly and made me feel welcome. more importantly, I went out with a couple of the lads and they took it easy on me! Going out again on Wednesday night.

Hi eardstapa,
    I went out with a couple of the lads and they took it easy on me! Going out again on Wednesday night.
    That sounds really encouraging. I'll have to get in touch with them and arrange something similar.
    Swa cwæð eardstapa

Clayton will be running from Worston (Calf's Head for 7pm) on Tuesday evenings in July if you want to check them out. I won't be there (coaching juniors over at Worsthorne) but just turn up and badger someone and hopefully they'll look after you.

I'll be honest (as a Clayton member!), we sometimes let ourselves down when it comes to prospective new runners. Individually I can't fault anyone but collectively we don't have any structured coaching on the fells and it really shows when prospective new members turn up to training, especially anyone with ..ahem.. lesser ability. Sessions tend to be derived from the 'rip each others legs off for 90 minutes' school of fell running.

You'll need to be pretty self confident and pro-active but if you're willing to stick with it then you'll get some excellent tough sessions and your running will progress rapidly.

And yes, they do run on Pendle far too much!

Quote Originally Posted by eardstapa View Post
    Surprising there isn't a club here in Clitheroe, isn't it?
    There has been in the past. In the late 70s there was a breakaway club I think from BBH but much before my time. My wife had a friend with them, Ribble Valley as they were called.
    But the problem for a town like Clitheroe is that it is too small to really sustain a club. If you like fell you have CLEM and Bowland. If you like Road you have CLEM, ACCY and Blackburn and if you like track and field you have BBH, Hyndburn RV AC and Pendle.
    So why does anyone in Clitheroe have a need to establish their own club? There are too many clubs already in a 10 mile radius.

My recommendation would be CLEM.

They have strength in depth, plenty of training options for seniors and they also affiliate to EA and affiliate their athletes so you can enter any race with confidence that you are insured and eligible to take part.
    They also get involved with road and Cross Country with give extra options thatyou might not appreciate at first but are really useful to improve your fell running.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    But the problem for a town like Clitheroe is that it is too small to really sustain a club.
    Careful here WP - our club is from a town half the size of Clitheroe and we've just put in two teams for the relays in October!!