Thread: HR at 220/230+ Whats going on?

HR at 220/230+ Whats going on?

Reet, this might be a bit of a rambling one, but while I am trying to get through to my local docs, I figured I would canvas some opinions.

History: Usually bike 100m a week and run 20-30m a week with no bother. Sometimes will do more of one than the other, depending on the weather.

Last Saturday, 7th, I had to abandon a run after a couple of miles as I just felt really bad. Bit generalised, but just felt I had nothing to give, was a bit short of breath and just felt cack. Walked back to the car grumbling and felt pretty wiped out for several hours after...also felt cold.

Sunday I went for a 7.5m run with my sis, at a relaxed pace, and despite feeling a bit weak, all seemed ok.

Monday went for a walk, but after 2-3 miles felt a bit lightheaded and didn't feel great for the 3 mile back.

Rested for the rest of the week, figuring I may have over done things, as I did make the most of the mini-heatwave we had a week or so back. Also in the 24 hrs previous I had played badminton for an hour, run for an hour straight after and then do a half century on the road bike at 6am the following morning.

Roll on to today, I figured I would see how I got on. As it turned out, badly. After a mile at quick-ish pace I felt pretty run down already. Same symptoms as the previous Sat and elected to turn back. Feelings that followed were the same weak, lightheadedness, pins/ aching in chest area and being a bit short of breath.

What has worried me, is that looking back on my Garmin info from the 7th and 13th runs, they both have me spiking upto 220/230 in the first mile. Something I have never done in the last year of having a HRM. Usual max is around 190, which tallies with the 220 - your age approximation.

So in summary....how long have I got left?

Master

Re: HR at 220/230+ Whats going

[QUOTE=barrierfreeman;478358]Reet, this might be a bit of a rambling one, but while I am trying to get through to my local docs, I figured I would canvas some opinions.

History: Usually bike 100m a week and run 20-30m a week with no bother. Sometimes will do more of one than the other, depending on the weather.

Last Saturday, 7th, I had to abandon a run after a couple of miles as I just felt really bad. Bit generalised, but just felt I had nothing to give, was a bit short of breath and just felt cack. Walked back to the car grumbling and felt pretty wiped out for several hours after...also felt cold.

Sunday I went for a 7.5m run with my sis, at a relaxed pace, and despite feeling a bit weak, all seemed ok.

Monday went for a walk, but after 2-3 miles felt a bit lightheaded and didn't feel great for the 3 mile back.

Rested for the rest of the week, figuring I may have over done things, as I did make the most of the mini-heatwave we had a week or so back. Also in the 24 hrs previous I had played badminton for an hour, run for an hour straight after and then do a half century on the road bike at 6am the following morning.

Roll on to today, I figured I would see how I got on. As it turned out, badly. After a mile at quick-ish pace I felt pretty run down already. Same symptoms as the previous Sat and elected to turn back. Feelings that followed were the same weak, lightheadedness, pins/ aching in chest area and being a bit short of breath.

What has worried me, is that looking back on my Garmin info from the 7th and 13th runs, they both have me spiking upto 220/230 in the first mile. Something I have never done in the last year of having a HRM. Usual max is around 190, which tallies with the 220 - your age approximation.

So in summary....how long have I got left? [/QUOTE

In conclusion, you're a freak, get some life insurance and avoiding muamba-ing
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Banned

Get it checked BF as soon as possible.
    Doc's is your best bet.
    That's what the good folks on here and in the A&E department at Hospital woud recommend.
    Sooner the better to sort these things out was the way my Consulant suggested.
    All the best.

Listen to Stagger, he has just had the opposite problem...as in exceptionally low HR.

However, Garmin HR readings in the first few miles can be erratic at best. My 301 has a tendency to spike weirdly when worn underneath a synthetic top, so I always wera a merino or cotton baselayer over it now, for a more accurate reading. The sensors in the strap aren't usually able to accurately read until they are covered in sweat either, which may take a couple of miles or warming up too...

Still, you are feeling bad, so I'd have yourself checked out. Best safe than sorry!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Managed to get in at the GPs for this afternoon, which was lucky. So will be seeking out some pro help.

re: the Garmin spiking thing. I am aware that the readings are not always bang on, but in the 112 runs I have done this year, since getting the 310XT/HRM, I have never gone over 200. Only times have been in this last week, which couple with feeling rough, unfortunately, points at the fault laying with man rather than machine. Hopefully, as I am a sprightly 32 with a resting HR of 60, it will only be something silly...like..erm...dunno.

Yeah, my 305 has the same issue, it spikes to somewhere around 210+ in the first 5 mins of a run, and then settles back to normal. (My max is actually somewhere around 184)
    It does this on a fair few runs but by no means on all of them. Im not particularly worried, as I have a Suunto, and that doesn't spike at all and reads perfectly normally for the entire run. No idea why it does it, but tend to ignore it for the first few miles of each run.

Apparently my blood pressure is high, but everything else seems ok. Have to go back next week for blood tests/EKG and lay off the exercise till then.

I dunno. Don't smoke, don't drink *grumble grumble*

Quote Originally Posted by barrierfreeman View Post
    Apparently my blood pressure is high, but everything else seems ok. Have to go back next week for blood tests/EKG and lay off the exercise till then.

I dunno. Don't smoke, don't drink *grumble grumble*
    try this

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ght=heart+rate

sounds like AF that has returned to normal rythm but assuming that would be crazy. Docs and HR tests are the way to go.
    don't mess about with your heart