Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boat Race

Thumbs down The Boat Race

The BBC have pulled out of almost every popular sport due to cost cutting, but yet still find the money to televise this anachronistic pile of shite. :thunbdown:
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Re: The Boat Race

Hmmm, that chip getting heavy again Danbert? Suggest you read True Blue before slagging off the Boat Race http://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Blue-St.../dp/0553505394

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Hmmm, that chip getting heavy again Danbert? Suggest you read True Blue before slagging off the Boat Race http://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Blue-St.../dp/0553505394

To be honest, i do find it pretty hard to care which bunch of foreign students with staggeringly rich parents beats the other. I suppose it's a quaint British tradition, but I doubt many will be on the edge of their seats with excitement!!!
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    To be honest, i do find it pretty hard to care which bunch of foreign students with staggeringly rich parents beats the other. I suppose it's a quaint British tradition, but I doubt many will be on the edge of their seats with excitement!!!
    True.

Heart of Horwich was a much better afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    I think you'd be surprised. Packs the riverside and draws a massive TV audience. Ask many people and, even those with no obvious ties to Oxford or Cambridge, will support one or the other. Many of both crews will row in the Olympics and the training they put in puts them on a par with the toughest endurance athletes... next time you're in the gym, row flat out for 6779m and see how you feel. Money has nothing to do with it, most will be on scholarships... how they earn those scholarships and whether they're just there to row is another argument but there's no denying they're probably the two best eights in the country and it's definitely a worthwhile sporting spectacle with a rich heritage. Don't slag something off just because of inverse snobbery.

So it was you that trashed it Danbert??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rowing/17645929

Super Moderator

Boring. It's worse than that FA Premiership. There's only ever two side that win it :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    I think you'd be surprised. Packs the riverside and draws a massive TV audience. Ask many people and, even those with no obvious ties to Oxford or Cambridge, will support one or the other. Many of both crews will row in the Olympics and the training they put in puts them on a par with the toughest endurance athletes... next time you're in the gym, row flat out for 6779m and see how you feel. Money has nothing to do with it, most will be on scholarships... how they earn those scholarships and whether they're just there to row is another argument but there's no denying they're probably the two best eights in the country and it's definitely a worthwhile sporting spectacle with a rich heritage. Don't slag something off just because of inverse snobbery.
    At least they're not butchering foxes or bumming their cousins while they're doing it. Fair play.
    Who cut your hair, Stevie Wonder?

I was surprised they had enough water to run the race?